Engine rattle
Close

Engine rattle

This is a discussion on Engine rattle within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; 2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Seems to tick just behind the cylinder heads at idle. More so when hot. Quiets down when clutch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Engine rattle

Engine rattle

2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Seems to tick just behind the cylinder heads at idle. More so when hot. Quiets down when clutch lever is pulled and or rpm's raised. That low RPM is enough to rattle the wind screen a fair bit sooo, something slack or loose in the drive train when it's not engaged? It's just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH CARNAGE AND EXPLOSIONS! . Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Sounds either clutch or transmission. I have known a few air and oil heads where a rattle like that was a sign something in the tranny was failing. Since you can't do much with the clutch other than look inside an inspection hole - change your trans oil and look for metal. run a magnet through it if you must (you should have a magnetic drain plug on there too so look at that). You can even send the oil out to a place like blackstone labs for metal content analysis. IIRC it's the input shaft that rattles, and the input shaft bearings that usually fail when the noise increases, I think you can hear them on accel and decel when riding too if they are starting to go.

A lot of people will tell you it's just slack in the trans and they all do that....but I dunno. A lot of BMW owners tell me transmission failure at some point is a part of ownership too and I often wonder if they are related. FWIW, bmws in my experience (which is very limited) seem to at the very least require a good hard look at the transmission right around 50K miles (80,500km).
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-22-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Seems to tick just behind the cylinder heads at idle. More so when hot. Quiets down when clutch lever is pulled and or rpm's raised. That low RPM is enough to rattle the wind screen a fair bit sooo, something slack or loose in the drive train when it's not engaged? It's just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH CARNAGE AND EXPLOSIONS! . Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks
    No idea because I’m not into those wretched things. If it was a Ducati or MG, you wouldn’t be able to hear yourself think over the clutch rattle. Even my bride goes what the hell is that?

Everything you didn’t want to read. https://advrider.com/f/threads/2005-...-noise.504553/

Hopefully it’s nothing.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Is a dry clutch so rattle within the clutch assembly itself is a possibility, I'm still on the original clutch with my 1986 K100RS and transmission has never given a lick of problem. That is either a good thing or neglect on my part I suppose, but on a 33 year old bike if it ain't broke don't fix it, just ride it in fact I feel a ride coming on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    my 1986 K100RS and transmission has never given a lick of problem. That is either a good thing or neglect on my part I suppose, but on a 33 year old bike if it ain't broke don't fix it, just ride it
    probably because it is not an airhead....lol.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Well thanks for the input. I've read the other thread links and got "Meh, they all do it" to "Game OVER MAN" usual internet shit. As suggested I'll drop the gear oil and see if it's gritty shitty and glitter. I'm really enjoying this bike and need the confidence level up for a trip in August. Can't afford shop time, that would no doubt kick the shit out of the trip funds. Thanks again

lol well at least they figured out how to make one better.

Can you make it make noises when the engine is off bike on stand and turning the wheel in gear etc?

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol well at least they figured out how to make one better.

Can you make it make noises when the engine is off bike on stand and turning the wheel in gear etc?
    I'll look into that as well. Apparently they have shitty cam chain tensioners which are cheap and easy to replace though I don't think pulling the clutch in would effect that. Maybe it changes the vibration enough to shut'm up. Dunno? Shed has the lawn mower in it with it's guts falling out at the moment so have to wait till it stops raining to do anything.

Dumped the oil and there was what I think is the usual deposits from regular wear and tear. I'll look at it a little closer but no chunks.

Never having heard it :I still think it might be a dry clutch throw bearing noise.

... beautiful day today, I rode until my back could no longer take it :|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links