Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working - Page 2
Close

Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working

This is a discussion on Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I just reread my last post and realized I sounded more edgy than I meant to. I appreciate all feedback - whatever form it comes ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working

I just reread my last post and realized I sounded more edgy than I meant to. I appreciate all feedback - whatever form it comes in.

sounded ok to me,
    how's it going did you get it sorted.

It's not the fuses. .. Just ran continuity test on all of them. Will check sheet metal box and other possible grounding issues next.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Start from the alternator :/ there should be 3 probably yellow wires coming out of the engine very close to the alternator and each of those should have some measurable resistance between the wire and a good ground ... probably in the realm of just a few ohms.
    If none of your fuses are blown then the assumption is that you do not have a direct live short to ground, you are looking for a dead short.

... what fuse burned out earlier? that circuit is the one to suspect most.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 08-14-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brenchao View Post
    ... cleared the triangle and moved all the electrical into a sheet metal box that I made and tacked onto the frame. Since then the headlight, taillight and brake light are not working. ...
    If you burnt out a fuse at this point that really does imply that you mixed up a ground wire and a hot wire,
    would be wise to make yourself a new wiring diagram based on what you have right in front of you now while you are tracing back each wire.

One fuse blew...? Didn't have the foresight to note that. Just checked the brake light against the box and I'm getting some resistance.

Meant to write which fuse blew...?

The three wires out of the alternator all have measurable resistance as you predicted. Should I be focusing on the brake wire as I've found resistance against the box?

That test would imply your alternator windings are good, even better if the reading was in spec :/ what was the resistance? There will be an acceptable range noted in the service manual.

Some measurable resistance on the hot wire side is good, that implies you don't have a short and what you are measuring is the resistance of the bulbs, if you were to remove the bulbs from that branch, that resistance should go infinite.

Ground wires and parts on the other hand should have zero resistance between the battery ground and almost anywhere on the motorcycle you can touch the multi-meter lead to without pealing back hot wires.

... you're not going to all of a sudden tell us that you converted everything to LED, right? LED uses diodes :/ everything changes.

No LED's. I'm in incandescent man from way back. How do I know which wire is the "hot" wire. I believe on all Hondas the green wires are ground, but some of the wires have green stripes on them. For example the taillight has a white wire with green stripe, and a green wire with a white stripe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links