Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working - Page 4
Close

Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working

This is a discussion on Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by brenchao Sooo, Over a few cocktails yesterday afternoon an electrician buddy and I were chatting. He asked if the taillight was grounded. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Headlight, Taillight & Brake light all not working

Quote Originally Posted by brenchao View Post
    Sooo, Over a few cocktails yesterday afternoon an electrician buddy and I were chatting. He asked if the taillight was grounded. I assumed yes, but went home and checked... It wasn't. The wiring diagram shows three wires coming out of the brake taillight assembly. I only have two, and must have connected the wrong wires. The brakelight is now grounded and in proper working order. The taillight, however, is still dark.
    The reason you only have two is that they are likely both power wires and the taillight uses the body of the light as a ground, which means you should have the taillight hard mounted to the frame of the motorcycle and then send power to the two wires. Or...you bought a light that is only a tallight and not a brake light as well (i.e it's single stage and not dual stage). Some modern bikes only have two wires because instead of having a two stage bulb, they vary the output to the light from the signal box - my wife's audi does it this way too.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

When you say single stage and dual stage you're not talking about dual filament are you? It's a dual filament bulb. I can only get either the taillight or brakelight to work when I connect the brake/taillight live wire to the corresponding wire on the bike and connect the second wire to ground on the ground wire on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by brenchao View Post
    When you say single stage and dual stage you're not talking about dual filament are you? It's a dual filament bulb. I can only get either the taillight or brakelight to work when I connect the brake/taillight live wire to the corresponding wire on the bike and connect the second wire to ground on the ground wire on the bike.
    Re-read the first part of Geeto’s last post.

Are you getting the brake light and taillight to work the way you are connecting it there? Or are you really just getting the tail light both ways you hook it up? Look at the bulb and see if it is the same element that lights up both times. Sounds to me like you don’t have the tail light assembly grounded properly.

Is there a ground terminal hiding somewhere on the taillight assembly?
    Last edited by Cyorg; 08-20-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Typically the 2 solder terminals are the incoming leads, the brass socket part is ground for both filaments and the fat one is the brake light because it's brighter (lower resistance one)
    The socket needs to have zero measurable resistance between it and your battery ground terminal. (other wise you are missing a ground wire on your rubber mounted taillight assembly.)
    The pins on this type bulb are staggered (because that way you hopefully can't install it wrong or jam a single pin bulb into the socket and short out your tail lights)

I understand the brass socket part is the ground for the filaments, and the socket that receives it must be grounded. This is where I'm running awry. I don't see an obvious ground for the socket. Can I jerry-rig one? There is a female ground terminal on the bike's harness that I'm sure if it gets a ground from the socket will make everything work as designed.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Adding a ground wire is a totally acceptable solution, easy test it with a jumper wire first to confirm that's a problem.

Victory! Just grounded the socket and all is working. How to permanently ground it now?

Well if it was me I would run a new wire nice and tidy like and then ride it

Done and done. If you're ever in new york first five beers on me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links