82 cb750c 125 dollar ignitor boxes?!
Close

This is a discussion on 82 cb750c 125 dollar ignitor boxes?! within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Id like to delete these buggers at 125 a piece for old tech. Best recommended complete ignition system? Cafe build.....

Id like to delete these buggers at 125 a piece for old tech. Best recommended complete ignition system? Cafe build..

Do they work? If so, I'd leave them in place.

"Best" is probably a MoTeC ECU at about 4800 bucks, but I suspect that wasn't really what you were asking. At the cheaper end of the scale there's DYNA in basic S form, or more sophisticated versions, 2000, 4000 and so on.

If you want something programmable, you are probably looking at Zeeltronic or Ignitech. I could sell you a twin channel ( 4 cylinder programmable Ignitech but you would have to get a new rotor and mounting plate ( about 10 bucks combined).

But if the stock OEM ignitor boxes work and you have spark, I'd stick with those. Anything aftermarket will be expensive.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    Do they work? If so, I'd leave them in place.

"Best" is probably a MoTeC ECU at about 4800 bucks, but I suspect that wasn't really what you were asking. At the cheaper end of the scale there's DYNA in basic S form, or more sophisticated versions, 2000, 4000 and so on.

If you want something programmable, you are probably looking at Zeeltronic or Ignitech. I could sell you a twin channel ( 4 cylinder programmable Ignitech but you would have to get a new rotor and mounting plate ( about 10 bucks combined).

But if the stock OEM ignitor boxes work and you have spark, I'd stick with those. Anything aftermarket will be expensive.
    Superbike unlimited are installing those motec units on their race bikes. Dragbikes have been using them, too.
    I dabbled in stand alone ecu’s back in the day on a zx-11d. What a pain in the arse. I had an EFI technologies unit. And a Hahn racecraft. That one was pure Stone Age tech. The EFI was pretty sophisticated. Equivalent to motec in the day.

For my ‘81 xs850, I found a stock igniter that worked an have been happy.
    For mildly modded or stock engines, the stock system is probably more than enough if it came with digital ignition vs points.
    If the engine has high compression, wilder cams, etc, an aftermarket ignition might be reasonable.

I looked into doing a stand alone ignition only with something from here
    Performance Aftermarket | Performance Electronics
    But stock unit worked so well, I avoided the headache.

What do you mean old tech anyway?
    Old tech with new modern components is way more reliable, imo.
    Last edited by jcw; 08-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drmanic View Post
    Id like to delete these buggers at 125 a piece for old tech. Best recommended complete ignition system? Cafe build..
    The DOHC cb750C uses CDI ignition with magnetic pickups. Hardly old tech because cars and bikes were using this system well into the 2000's, in fact they still use some form of it today, except instead of a distributor and separate ignition modules it's all part of a really expensive computer. The problem isn't that the technology is old, the problem is that the units were marginal quality when new and now they are physically old. The technology is just fine.

I am sorry that you think there is going to be a single off the shelf solution that is less than $125 for you to replace the whole of the ignition system on a CB honda. There just isn't. Even some of the old school tech things like a magneto will run you close to $1000.

Now, there is a sort of different option, that is more cost effective, but it's not "new tech" it's the same exact tech but with more common cheaper to source components.

General Motors HEI Ignition Module For Early 1980's Honda CB's with GM coils

Basically you replace the 1980's honda tech with equally old 1980's GM tech, but because GM makes cars in the millions vs the 10's of thousands honda makes motorcycles, economies of scale work in your favor.

or...and hear me out...you can just buy bolt on replacement parts from rick's for $125 and get "old tech" that isn't really old made with new materials that should last you another 35 years and it takes you 30 min to replace.

best of luck.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 08-07-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links