M-Unit Wiring Help
Close

M-Unit Wiring Help

This is a discussion on M-Unit Wiring Help within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Are there any Motogadget M-Unit wiring experts in house? Wiring my project bike, and think I am pretty set. I used the diagram from Revival ...

M-Unit Wiring Help

Are there any Motogadget M-Unit wiring experts in house?

Wiring my project bike, and think I am pretty set. I used the diagram from Revival and it is nicely done and got me through all the lights, brakes, turn signals and such with ease. https://technicalarticles.revivalcyc...s/360009106131

But, it does have one part that throws me. When hooking the Ignition Output, all it says, "To wire a stock ignition system with the m-Unit, you need a clear and correct wire diagram for your bike. The basic plan is to keep the OEM system intact and simply supply power from the m-Unit "ignition" output. Start by identifying the spark plugs or coils in the diagram and trace their connections back to the ignition control module or points and then on to any devices connected to it, making note of any connections that are powered from the ignition key switch. Follow the branches and get an understanding of what is connected to what, usually this includes kill switches and safety switches. Any connections to the engine sensors, pulser, or trigger coils should be maintained as original, and the only changes that need to be made are connecting the power feed wires to the m-Unit "Ignition Out terminal"."

So, guess my question is, do I only need to find that wire that started at the Kill Switch and connect it to the Ignition Out? That sounds way to simple!

I have traced the stock wring diagram (will attach) and it looks like there is a red/white (R/W) wire running from the kill switch that touches the coils, starter solenoid and ignitor (CDI) box. From my limited math, I need to tie that to the ignition out. But like I said.. that seams to simple.

Name:  IMG_0331.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  2.48 MB

If anyone has tackled this and could give me some guidance, that would be great.

Thanks!

Scroll down halfway and you'll see my notes on it:

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proj...d-right-5.html

I just went and made a new wiring harness. It's easy enough and you can get really good results if you use the right wire, connectors, and loom tape.

Here's MY wiring diagram... its honestly pretty universal though:

Heres the thing with the M-unit... the switches function by grounding out a signal, not by closing a power circuit. Once the M-unit detects a signal ground, it sends power down the corresponding power wire.

Also, get the right tools: barrel crimper is a must.
    I wired mine to just use a toggle switch instead of a key as well as a kill switch at the handlebars.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

also... the headlight high/low beam switch: you need to leave the low beam (I think) switch ungrounded. when you switch to high beams, you ground out the high beam signal and the bike switches power to that. If you ground both sides of the switch, you'll only get high beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks man!! That is exactly what I was looking for!! Amazing thing is I was kinda heading down that path!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links