1990- BMW Cafe - Page 2
Close

1990- BMW Cafe

This is a discussion on 1990- BMW Cafe within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The seat has been replaced, possibly doesn't even hinge or open, the battery tender plug is standard, you can get a battery tender to put ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1990- BMW Cafe

The seat has been replaced, possibly doesn't even hinge or open, the battery tender plug is standard, you can get a battery tender to put on it directly.
    The plug that has been added is just like the plug on the battery charger. Battery is a lead acid type, which is good for your purpose. should be super easy, under seat access won't do anything for you anyway.

One of my battery tender/chargers is sold by Honda, but it's not your only alternative.

.... hopefully there are no mice where you store it.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discostu004 View Post
    Attachment 99439

here are the pix. does this help anyone determine where it might be?
    In this pic, see that wire that looks like lamp cord that goes down by the foot peg? If you follow it towards the floor I betcha it leads you to a battery tender plug in. I think most of the plugs are of a universal type these days.

Bike is def not a 1990, its a 1977-1984 r-series airhead.

The seat on it I believe a boxer cafe seat. That means there should be a release on the back under the taillight and then the whole seat slides back and comes off. There is a tab at the front of the seat that slides into the backbone of the frame. You can see in one of the pics where the stock lock and button have been removed. Yo can see how that seat is mounted here: Cafe Tails but don't be surprised if it is bolted down.

To answer Trials question, if the bike were stock I do think under the seat is the easiest way to access the battery, because the seat pivots, you remove the under tray, and then you have a lot of room underneath to attach alligator clips if you need to charge and don't have a plug to fit the charger plug that is installed. You can also access the battery by removing the side covers, but room is tight if you need to get your hands in there. IIRC the side covers are screwed on.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

If he needs to remove it. Sure! but I was under the impression he was just storing it
    and the owner requested the battery be taken care of.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    In this pic, see that wire that looks like lamp cord that goes down by the foot peg? If you follow it towards the floor I betcha it leads you to a battery tender plug in. I think most of the plugs are of a universal type these days.

Bike is def not a 1990, its a 1977-1984 r-series airhead.

The seat on it I believe a boxer cafe seat. That means there should be a release on the back under the taillight and then the whole seat slides back and comes off. There is a tab at the front of the seat that slides into the backbone of the frame. You can see in one of the pics where the stock lock and button have been removed. Yo can see how that seat is mounted here: Cafe Tails but don't be surprised if it is bolted down.

To answer Trials question, if the bike were stock I do think under the seat is the easiest way to access the battery, because the seat pivots, you remove the under tray, and then you have a lot of room underneath to attach alligator clips if you need to charge and don't have a plug to fit the charger plug that is installed. You can also access the battery by removing the side covers, but room is tight if you need to get your hands in there. IIRC the side covers are screwed on.
    The side panels are held on with a rubber band Geeto.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    The side panels are held on with a rubber band Geeto.
    Thanks, on my monolever they are are held on by a screw at the bottom and I wasn't sure how far that design went back, it's been a while since I played with an earlier bike.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

damn you guys know a lot. someone mentioned a cord going down to the foot peg. i went and checked it out and there is this connector. is there a trickle charger that has this connection? would i just use a normal charger? the one i got that worked easily on his other two cars doesn't have a connector that looks like this. thanks!!!!!Name:  IMG_7472.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  2.22 MB

Can't be 100% sure, looks like an OpiMate 4 lead.......https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Prog...t=1&pldnSite=1
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

That’s a standard SAE connector. Several trickle charger models will have that connector, or you can wire one onto a charger by cutting and splicing it in.

If wired correctly to the bike, the exposed terminal should be negative.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by discostu004 View Post
    damn you guys know a lot. someone mentioned a cord going down to the foot peg. i went and checked it out and there is this connector. is there a trickle charger that has this connection? would i just use a normal charger? the one i got that worked easily on his other two cars doesn't have a connector that looks like this. thanks!!!!!Name:  IMG_7472.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  2.22 MB
    90% of battery chargers sold today will have this connector, either as a separate attachment, or inline from the charger itself as the way in which you change attachment leads. Seriously, I bought a cheap trickle charger from autozone last year and it had one, as does my genius charger and my 2 battery tender brand chargers. You have to have a very old charger for yours not to have it, check in the box your charger came with and see if you don't have one. Worst case here is a $20 charger from walmart that has it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-6V-1-...iABEgLy0PD_BwE
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I was able to find a charger that worked for that connector. Much appreciated to you guys!
    TrialsRider likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links