Cafe Racer Forum banner

Have you purchased/installed an exhaust of eBay?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dwmilton 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for deals on exhausts (4 into 1 to replace my 4 to 4) and I found a few on eBay. The person selling them seems to have a good reputation for selling vintage Honda parts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on his exhausts or a better exhaust suggestion?

Thanks guys!

#4 ·
I'm interested in this also. 2-1 systems for my Yamaha run about $25 less on ebay than I can find anywhere else.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

#5 ·
dennis kirk will beat any price by a buck as long as its over 100 dollars. as long as its advertised. ive called them and had them look at websites for tires and theyve beat it. and that includes all the crap they add on. worth a call if youre looking to eek out that last little bit.

jc

#6 ·
depends on your budget.

Mac exhausts are cheap exhausts in every sense of the word. The finish is cheap, the welding is cheap, and the price is cheap - but they will do the job if your old 4 into 4 is rotted out, dented to shit, or otherwise no longer functional. Truth be told they are not all bad, will not cause you to loose any power on your cb750, and even have a nice sound to them. If you go for one, buy a black one and repaint it with a high temp coating before installing as the mac paint sucks (chrome is not much better) and will rust within a year.

Supertrap still makes and sells the old kerker pipes which are right now the best new performance pipe you can get for a cb750 short of tossing a grand for a set of replica 4 into 4 CR750 pipes. At around $600 a pop they are not cheap, but price not withstanding the sound is worth it and if you are going to do other mods (k&N filter, and any kind of head work) it is worth the price of admission.

If your 4 into 4 is in nice shape I would recommend keeping it. Sure it looks heavy but one of the unique things about cb750s that you don't find on other bikes is the 4 in 4 out pipes.

#7 ·
Great tips and advice everyone, thank you!
Geet, what's the advantage of 4 into 4 over the 4 into 1? I thought the 4 into 1 would cause just a little more back pressure, in a good way, thus causing just a little more power on hand and a nicer sound.
Those were just my thoughts though. I could be showing how green I am by making that statement.

#9 ·
the 4-1 moves the rev range up a bit. makes it a bit more "pipey" the 4-4's just looks bad assed. i hated my mac. sat too low, bashed on everything, and sounded like a cbr600. just get the mac and have it drop shipped to jet hot. have them re-coat it. it'll last forver. geets right. and for the $$$$ they are probably worth buying. its just to go with anythign nice youre going to drop at least 5-600. starting. but hey, i spent 4 on my racebike pipes. and there are only 2 of them!

jc

#10 ·
hey guys ( and gals)--just thought i'd post my 2 cents' worth--MAC exhaust is available factory direct(I think) but you won't get a discount; if your local dealer was to order you one from the MAC company themselves then you can get it with the performance baffle (which is the one I got) which sounds ten times better than the normal baffle. kerker sound at a cheep price. the only drawback I face is the cheap-ass emgo pods I put on and trying to tune the carbs for them. But I'm getting there!

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

#11 ·
I've been looking for a 4-into-1 for my 74 CB750, and am prepping to buy a black MAC.

How can I specify that I want the "race" baffles? I read that the baffles are removeable, so I figured I could just pull them out, and maybe mod (drill) them some, If I don't like the stock sound/performance.

I'm planning to use black heat wrap on the header section, so can I get by without the Jet Hot treatment? I just figure that for the trouble and expense of coating the MACs, I'd be better off saving for a Kerker.

Thanks for helping a newbie !!

dw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.