Converting front disc brake hub to rear wheel?
Close

This is a discussion on Converting front disc brake hub to rear wheel? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I've been thinking a lot about brakes recently and I got to wondering about the rear wheel on my CB450. A disc brake out back ...

I've been thinking a lot about brakes recently and I got to wondering about the rear wheel on my CB450. A disc brake out back via one of those axle-mounted calipers would be pretty cool, but I don't want to give up my spoked wheel.

I know that the sprocket mounts onto the rear wheel into bushings (plastic I think) of some type, but I've been wondering if it is possible to use a front wheel hub from a 450 as the rear hub, and gain the disc mount to boot.

I realize that the sprocket wouldn't fit and would need new mounting holes made, and I haven't gone out to the garage to compare the parts, but is this a bad idea? would there be a better spoked rear hub to start with? Is there another Honda CB750/550/etc bike that has a rear hub with disc that would fit the axle? Would a hub like the '76 CB750F fit?
    "This site is bullshit."

MANY problems, you can get pretty good stopping power with a once over and some new shoes. Even more with a modern compound.

I have heard of guys using cb550/500 rear hubs on 750s, and the cb500/550 rear hub shares a lot of part numbers with the 450 hub (like brake shoes for example). So it may be possible to use a 750 hub on your 450.

If it is possible then the cheapest way to do it would be to snag the rear wheel from a 1975 or 1976 cb750F and start there. I have to warn you though, the drum brake on a cb750 is way better than a disc brake in terms of sheer stopping power. If you look at a cb750 drum shoe it is almost twice the width of a cb450's drum shoe.

cycle exchange makes a drum to disc conversion for cb750 drum hubs. Maybe compare your sprocket carrier to a cb750 and if they are close to the same size you can use that.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

To do a front wheel as a rear is quite easy if you have lathe capabilities

however, there are many viable, and much easier to adapt, spoke or mag rear wheels with disc brake, which have a proper "cush drive"

that would make your life much simpler

if you don't want the weight of the cush drive

lessee........ the XS650 rear wheel doesn't have one and I have a couple of those hubs here I'd let go of

I know I have one that has had it's sprocket surface machined about 0.100" as to bring the sprocket inboard a bit, easy enough to shim out

you could have that one for the price of shipping

but truly there are several disc brake wheels that you can get very cheap

my Triumph has a YZ125 rear hub on it

whole wheel with brakes and tire only weighs 26 pounds!

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

To do a front wheel as a rear is quite easy if you have lathe capabilities

however, there are many viable, and much easier to adapt, spoke or mag rear wheels with disc brake, which have a proper "cush drive"

that would make your life much simpler

if you don't want the weight of the cush drive

lessee........ the XS650 rear wheel doesn't have one and I have a couple of those hubs here I'd let go of

I know I have one that has had it's sprocket surface machined about 0.100" as to bring the sprocket inboard a bit, easy enough to shim out

you could have that one for the price of shipping

but truly there are several disc brake wheels that you can get very cheap

my Triumph has a YZ125 rear hub on it

whole wheel with brakes and tire only weighs 26 pounds!

Hack, you got style.

Jap dirt bike parts on a triumph.

That's way cool.

thanks, my silver bobber has yz 125 hubs/brakes front and rear and the rear had to have custom spokes to lace it to an 18 alloy

front wheel/tire is just 22 pounds and it swings from a cherry knucklehead springer

I have a triple with GSXR inverteds on one off trees, Ninja mag wheels, NIssin brakes and a few other choice Asian bits

and I recently fitted kawa wheels to my Harley Flathead which has a lucas alternator on it and an amal carb

some people seem to be offended by such antics claiming they are disrespectful

I say let them eat fish heads

here's the Triumph with it's seat very happy

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Sponsored Links