header tape?
Close

header tape?

This is a discussion on header tape? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Yes? No? whats everyones opinions or experience? how much? whole pipe? Brand? prepping to install it? lemme hear it, please... thanks teighlor...

Thread: header tape?

header tape?

Yes? No? whats everyones opinions or experience? how much? whole pipe? Brand? prepping to install it?

lemme hear it, please...

thanks

teighlor

It's a great look and comes in handy when the pipe is in a bad location BUT... since it keeps the heat in the pipe they tend to deteriorate a bit quicker than normal.

So if you don't mind the shortened pipe life it works and in my opinion looks great.

I wonder if you could extend the pipe life by coating it with POR-15/high heat POR-15 or maybe a Jet Hot type coating before wrapping it?

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jet hot.

jc

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

It is easy to apply. Soak the wrap in a bucket for a few hours first. Make sure you have some gloves on because the fiberglass iches badly. Wrap from the bottom up so that the wraps will not look exposed (you will see what I mean). Tie the ends with metal zip ties. Make sure you leave enough room to get you exhaust collars on and off. When the wrap dries it will shrink and become very tight and hard. After drying you can paint with high temp paint. The paint will fade over time but no big deal, just paint it again. It makes a huge difference. I had the pipes on my KZ1000 wrapped. I did it because I run the oil cooler right above the header and I wanted to keep some of the heat off the cooler. After a long ride you can touch the pipes and not leave skin behind. It is still hot but at least you won't get a scar. As a bonus I think it looks killer.

is it easy to clean? i am running no front fender and bits of wet dirt get stuck on the front of my case all the time and on my exhaust. there is a spot on my way to work that is always wet.

I use the DEI brand. Its got a special coating on it and withstands 1500 degrees according to the package.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

all the "black" wrap I've used totally sucks

it's very fuzzy and the glass breaks out and goes airborne even when wet

it will wreck your eyes and lungs

then to top it off, if you actually want it black for a while

you have to rattle can it with some high heat paint

because unpainted it is actually dark gray

I use the brown stuff which is not fuzzy in the least

it accepts black high heat paint even better than the black stuff

I like the 1 inch width stuff because it makes bends much easier and looks nicer than the 2 inch stuff that wants to pucker and ripple with even slight bends

I've had pipes wrapped for over 5 years now

yeah they have surface crustiness underneath but they've held up very well

I don't think the stuff would remotely phase any of my stainless pipes
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Jet hot is not a rust proofing coating - just a thermal coating. Anybody who thinks otherwise is welcome to come over and look at my collection of jet hot coated pontiac headers that have rusted over.

The jet hot coating works like header wrap without the look. Meant to trap heat in the pipe without the retained moisture issue. It will rust eventually. Took my pontiac Ram Air manifolds 3 years to show signs of rust.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Jet hot is not a rust proofing coating - just a thermal coating. Anybody who thinks otherwise is welcome to come over and look at my collection of jet hot coated pontiac headers that have rusted over.

The jet hot coating works like header wrap without the look. Meant to trap heat in the pipe without the retained moisture issue. It will rust eventually. Took my pontiac Ram Air manifolds 3 years to show signs of rust.
    Really, is the stuff you've had done cast? I've had some headers in pretty abusive environments that never showed a speck of rust.

I've got an old V&H pipe on one of my FZs that's in bad shape. Planning on having it coated at some point this summer. There's a shop that does ceramic about forty miles from me. They did tell me that the coating's thin enough that it won't hide any surface roughness or pits. Didn't ask them about rust prevention, just assumed it'd be ok. Anything I've had done in the past was brand new.

Sponsored Links