Widest available tires
Close

Widest available tires

This is a discussion on Widest available tires within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anybody know how wide of a tire I can squeeze on my '71 CB500. Looking for widest front and rear. Also, what's the best place ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Widest available tires

Anybody know how wide of a tire I can squeeze on my '71 CB500. Looking for widest front and rear. Also, what's the best place online to purchase tires? Thanks.

I can't tell you what will fit on a 500, but I can tell you that the wider you put on the more like a truck it'll steer. Are you going for looks or handling? Also - the width of the rim will govern what you can fit on probably more than clearance issues. I'm sure someone 500 or 550 savvy will chime in soon and fill you in on the best setup.

Michael

a 120 is as wide as i'd go. personally i think a 110 will probably handle the best
    fat people are harder to kidnap

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Bateman147

I can't tell you what will fit on a 500, but I can tell you that the wider you put on the more like a truck it'll steer. Are you going for looks or handling? Also - the width of the rim will govern what you can fit on probably more than clearance issues. I'm sure someone 500 or 550 savvy will chime in soon and fill you in on the best setup.

Michael
    I was actually asking more out of curiosity. I ended up picking up a 130 for the rear and a 100 for the front. Thanks for the advice on the handling.

a 130 on that narrow ass cb500 rear rim is going to roll and distort in corners. It will be like riding a very large pencil eraser being dragged across the page.

of course you probably don't ride hard enough to notice it anyway.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

DDAAMMNN! dude, you're my personal fuggin hero!!! master geeto!
    iphone generated fag

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Wow! You're so awesome. It's great how much better than me you are because you "ride harder". You sir, are the king of caferacer.net. I apologize for insulting your intelligence by asking a simple question. I'll try not to bother you in the future. Fucking elitist prick.

Hey guys;

I don't think anyone is trying to personally slam anyone here in this form so there is no reason for YOU to personally attack someone. I'm sure Geeto67's comment was not a personal slam against you xkillerbx. Catboy - WTF are you jumping into this.

I'm not defending anyone other that asking you guys to lighten up and take comments for what their worth. I follow this form to pick up tips and check out what other folks are doing with their bikes. If there is a little jab here and there, lighten up.... If this is the most serious thing in your life, you got problems...

Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

not meant to be an offensive slam - but to tell you the truth if you ride hard then you get a feel for tires and how their widths affect them. Sometimes going to a wider on the front will cause the front end to wash out faster without warning or give other times not. If you are not riding hard enough to feel diflection in the tire than the effects a larger size may not have much of an impact on 90% of your riding. However you may be giving up faster reaction or grip for that 10% that consists of emergency situations and overzealous riding.

BTW I have learned the hard way that a wider rear tire on a rim that is not really designed for it can also change the profile. A too wide tire stuffed on a narrow rim can cause the tread to peak (come to a more defined point) and actually reduce the contact patch. There are certain tires where the profile was so flat that this was an advantage but for a sport riding tire this will not be the case. One of the fall outs of peaking is that the bike will "fall" into turns rather than roll because of the now more drastic change in the profile curve.

if you are going to go to a wider tire (more than a size up from stock) a wider rim is always recommended. If you are cheap I have heard of guys getting cb750 rear wheels to work on the 500/550 but I have no idea of the parts involved in the swap. with a cb750 you can go to a 130 no problem or even a 140 (about as big as I would go on a stocker).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

That's a much more mature way of explaining it. It probably would have been easier to do that in the first place. Thank you for getting off your high horse long enough to help a rookie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links