cb350 timing "inspection port"
Close

This is a discussion on cb350 timing "inspection port" within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Lately on the site i've seen a couple of 350 twins with "inspection ports" on the stator cover to aide ignition timing while running. The ...

Lately on the site i've seen a couple of 350 twins with "inspection ports" on the stator cover to aide ignition timing while running. The benefits are obvious but are there any potential hazards from this particular setup? Like I assume it is not going to spew hot oil all over but you know what they say about assumptions. Will it lose oil system pressure and fry my engine if I run it like that for too long? I don't plan on driving around town like that but you know. What if a piece of plexiglass was JB welded in the proper spot?

bfd
    there isn't any oil pressure behind that cover but there is not reason to leave an inspection port there permanently unless it's a style thing. How many times can you look at timing marks? A spare cover with a hole at that area is in alot of folks tool boxes. It's only 3 screws.

I did mine for the benefits of having a small window there, but in reality if you take the whole cover off only a small amount of oil will come out, take the bike and just tip it slightly the other way so the oil won't come out and run the bike so you can time it. Thats a little dangerous procedure if you are doing it alone so thats why in the dead of winter in Wisconsin,,,with absolutely nothing to do, I saw someone with a siimilar idea and made my own. Theres a gasket that I cut out that ensures no leaking.

You can also do it the way the manual says to do it, with a homemade timing light. You don't need the motor running,,,hell you don't even need oil in the damn thing. The times that I've tried it, it actually got it pretty close.

I would think the whole plexy glass thing might seem like a good idea, but after a little while I think it would cloud over or more likely turn yellowish and make a eyesore. kinda like the sight glass on a compressor,,,the kind you can barely see where the oil level is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Good point. If you saw my bike you would quickly realize that style is not my main goal. Just proper operation at this point. i guess i do have a spare. Yeah three screws but they are kinda long...

Sponsored Links