THR Carbs??
Close

THR Carbs??

This is a discussion on THR Carbs?? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I was hoping someone can give some clarity. I am a new vintage racer,(71 Cb350), using stock CV carbs, rebuilt - but fussy. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THR Carbs??

THR Carbs??

I was hoping someone can give some clarity. I am a new vintage racer,(71 Cb350), using stock CV carbs, rebuilt - but fussy. I am on the fence of making the purchase of TH Racings 34 mm Mikuni Kit with the velocity stacks. Any suggestions or heads up I will need.

Am also on fence of revamping exhaust (2-2, 2-1 ??). I have read past Tech postings and spent hours going through the many views. What I need is a basic starting point and I think I can work it from there. I know each bike is different. I have Dyna 3 ohm Coils, which I will probably install and for the time being - running points.

if we knew where you lived or what club you'd be racing with the question might be easier to answer. Most classes that you will run on a cb/cl/sl350 require you use the stock CV carbs. If you want to spend big $$ building up your engine into a near 50hp 350gp bike you will need carbs (and a LOT more), if you just want to race the bike keep the engine stock.

By the way, those carbs aren't specific to THR. Check sudco.

+1

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I live in Mass and will probably spend a majority of racing @ NHMS. That being said, most everyone that saw my bike told me to get rid of those carbs and run the mikuni's.

Speaking with TH Racing, they advised me that they have the correct set-up and don't waste my time buying the carbs from another source (sales-pitch?). Any advice on this. I have a connection to Sudco parts (and a discount), but am not sure of the correct jetting or where to start.

Also, should I try 34 mm or the stock 32mm? You guys seem much more knowledgable.

Here's some free advice and keep in mind you get what you pay for. The people that told you to get rid of the CV carbs and get mikuni's have no idea what they're talking about. If you keep the engine stock with the stock carbs you'll have a lot more classes you're eligible to race in. Which is especially important with a new racer. Track time and a good handling motorcycle are more important than hp.

Clean the CV carbs out well and they won't be fussy any more. And I mean really well. Don't just spray carb cleaner through it and call it a day.

If you really have you're heart set on Mikunis the velocity stacks that THR sell are very nice. But the carb prices are very high. You can get Mikunis from Sudco with the correct set up. THR is trying to sell you carbs set up for a full race motor and those things won't work very well with a stock motor. And also keep in mind that if you end up buying mikunis that will work with a stock motor and you decide at some point to build a full race motor those mikunis will no longer be what you need.

Bottom line, keep the stock carbs and get them running well. Get more seat time.

Craig

craig you smart man
    Are you coming next week to light fireworks with us?
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

Scott,

It's not looking too good right now. I'm going to be sending a transmission out to be undercut today. I really doubt I'd get it back by next Thursday. And I don't want to just put another stock transmission in there until I figure out what's causing my transmission problems. But I'd really like to go.

But there's the whole getting beat by a girl thing that I'm not looking forward to.

Craig

I like your advice. Seat time is most important. I may still go with the mikunis. A minor upgrade, considering.

Thanks

This might be redundant, but don't eliminate your option to run the FCB class by jumping to Mikunis right from the get-go. USCRA FCB grids are large with a varied ability levels and if you are new to racing you'll be surprised how well a stock engine/stock carbed race bike can get around a technical track like Loudon.

Check out the rulebook:
    http://www.race-uscra.com/forms/USCR...ules.FINAL.pdf

See you out there.

more redundancy-

if your first mod is to add the mikunis, then you've immediately put yourself in a class (lightweight supervintage)with fully built honda 350 (and other bigger) race bikes. only the stock carbs are legal in the honda 350 only class (Formula CB). but in LWSV your bike will immediately be at a huge disadvantage to those bikes with hot cams and big overbores and fancy vavles and sculpted ports, etc. so basically, if you just add the mikunis, you've put yourself in no-mans-land in regards to the two Honda350 classes...illegal for the Formula CB class, and very slow for the Lightweight Supervintage class. so yeah, it's a minor upgrade that only puts your bike in a bad place.

everything these guys above are saying is right, stick with the stock engine and carbs, work on your suspension and chassis, then when you're ready to go faster, do the carbs and engine. there's plenty to keep you busy before adding the mikunis.

good luck and keep posting-
    tt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links