what all gauges should i ask for from santa
Close

This is a discussion on what all gauges should i ask for from santa within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; what sort of gauges do you race types run on your machine? right now my christmas list includes an Oil Temp gauge and a wideband ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what sort of gauges do you race types run on your machine? right now my christmas list includes an Oil Temp gauge and a wideband A/F ratio gauge, but I noticed a lot of handy other guages and sensors like a cylinder head temp, and an Exhaust gas temp gauge. hell even oil pressure. does an 81 xs400 even have a significant amount of oil pressure to mess with testing?

I run a tach when it works. Other than that I just run it until it blows up.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I don't have enough money to run it until it blows up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

if you keep oil in the thing, i dont think its gonna blow up. that said, if youre riding it hard enough to blow up, maybe you should have a tach...i dont know about the rest of that stuff. i have a speedometer that *almost* works.

Sure you do. I have run racebikes for several years before they blow up and after I blow up a few of the same engine I even figure out what the cause is and they run even longer.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

on a 4 stroke racebike, all you need, and should have, is a tach. those oil pressure guages are nice, until you crash it, and it leaks, then you go back out, and blow up, or it just leaks, or......

it sorta can depend on your ignition. whether you want an inductive type tach, thats got an internal battery. or a electronic that runs on your bat. we used vfr tachs on the cb350's for a while. electronic, and cheap and easy to get. but yes, only a good tach. you wont have time or bother looking at anything else. now, if you were running a 2stroke.......

spend some cash on a good tire pressure gauge. theres alot of stuff you can buy instead of gauges youll need for the track.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

i have a tire pressure gauge and a tach already. sorry i didn't mention that, but i was thinking more on what gauges you run Beyond essentials.

quote:Originally posted by kenessex

I run a tach when it works. Other than that I just run it until it blows up.

Ken
    This.

I have tachs on most of my bikes, but I found that I was usually above redline when I was looking at them, so stopped looking at them altogether. If I can't see it and it's not blowing up, I'm doing ok.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

wideband or egt gauge is useless perm installed on a bike. Get it set right once with a wideband that you borrow and save the money. now, oil temp may be cool if its real damn small and only you know where to look for it.
    I do feel a tach is almost paramount though.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

i have a tire pressure gauge and a tach already. sorry i didn't mention that, but i was thinking more on what gauges you run Beyond essentials.

you sort of answered your own question there.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links