Vintage tires
Close

Vintage tires

This is a discussion on Vintage tires within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; haven't been on in a while, but i'm back- with a new a bike got a 1972 cb350 for $125. score. just wondering if any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage tires

Vintage tires

haven't been on in a while, but i'm back- with a new a bike

got a 1972 cb350 for $125. score.

just wondering if any of you knew what the widest front and rear tires i can go in the in old measurements? 4.5 18?

here's the bike, and an inspiration to what i hope it will look like. i know it's not cafe but i love the look of it.

thanks!

Your tire selection will be based on the size of your rims and the tires that will fit on the rims. I'm thinking the above bike has custom rims on it. Your other problem will be what will fit within the front brake and rear end brake setup. Based on the bike above - the front tire is just a little too big for my taste - but what the heck - go for it. Lastly - the stock frames may have a small handling problem with a bigger bit tire on it. I'll bet ya the above bike wobbles a little with the current setup.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

i bit more delicately put than i could have managed...
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm not going as extreme as the bike above. To me, that looks like more of a show bike with un-functional ascetics. That bike has an extended swing arm, sits insanely low and has huge tires, just to state the obvious that parks thinks i don't know. thanks for the gay useless reply though!

I think it's a clean smooth looking bike and it's going to be base off this project. It's good to have a direction in early states of a project.

Right now, the stock rims, which I will be keeping are both 18's. The front has a 3.50 on it, the rear has a 4.00 on it.
    I should have asked my question clearer- can I bump my tire size up a size in both the front and that back without rubbing the front brake and rear breaks and/or chain?
    I was looking at cooker tire's firestone 400 for the front and 450 for the rear.

You might be able to. Doing so will cause the tire to change its shape, and will wear poorly. It also will handle differently, as the sidewalls will be at a different angle than designed.
    Right now you have a 110 rear and 100 front. You maybe be able to go 120 rear and 110 front without clearance issues. I wouldn't go any larger without changing the rims.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

at the risk of adding to my enormous collection of gay and useless posts, i have found that in a given size, there is a fair bit of variation in width (actual) between brands. if you (shredderman) can get ahold of actual (mounted on your sized rims) widths, you may prevent a gay and useless purchase.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

and a simple way to check clearance on you bike is to get some 1/4" weatherstrip foam, stick it around a section of tire, and check around a full rotation to see the gaps at fender stays, brake parts etc. 1/4" is roughly one size bigger in girth.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

110 front and 120 rear fits with no clearance issue. Downside is that you can't use the front fender/brace at all.

You actually can use the stock front fender with a 110 front with a minimal amount of trimming. It only hits where the fender is formed between the inner brace ant the fork legs. Trim that part back to where the brace is and it clears. I used a CL fender, but I expect the CB could be used too. I'll look for a picture.

I also have the Avon AM23 130vb18 on the rear of mine, with no clearance issues.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ken, could you illustrate that a bit more? Are you implying that I can still use the front brace with 110 size tires?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links