Arcing Brake Shoes w/ Belt Sander - huh?
Close

This is a discussion on Arcing Brake Shoes w/ Belt Sander - huh? within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; OK, guys. My CS1 brakes are at Industrial Brake in Maplewood, New Jersey for relining but Chris' machine won't arc anything this small. He's going ...

OK, guys. My CS1 brakes are at Industrial Brake in Maplewood, New Jersey for relining but Chris' machine won't arc anything this small. He's going to lay up 3/16 in. industrial compound on the shoes and I'm going to have to custom fit to the drum I.D. What's the best way to do it? The front drum is 7.900 id and the rear is 5.914. I was thinking about .020 under on the shoe assembly. Do I work off more material starting at the leading edges and feather back or just take off evenly until I'm .020 under? I know somebody here has done this job without a lathe. I was thinking that I should probably do as much as I can to make the shoes fit with .020 at all points since the most amount of wear will come at the leading edges. I'm getting the .020 number from some shoes and drums that Vintage Brake did for me earlier on another job. The front brake is DSL. rear is not. Thinking probably a belt sander would do a reasonable job. Ok, Lets hear your thoughts. Thanks!!

trepman
    i'm pretty good with a belt sander and wouldn't even think of that as a play. mr. branson has done more brakes than i have and may have a different take on the process but i think that the brake shoes' arc should be exactly the same diam as the drum. and they must be mounted on the backing plate to correct for any variables between the drum center and the mounted position of the shoes. when i last did mine, i deployed the shoes out from bottom a small amount to create clearance, using the cam (held by a screew). i then chucked the backing plate (use the axel as a center) and cut the shoes until they were exactly the diameter of the drum. obviously there must be sufficiant meat on the shoes to subract material down to that point across the entire length of the lining. the only "freehand" work i did was to chamfer the leading edge (at about 25 degrees, about half of the lining thickness). after a couple gentle heat cycles, the end result worked spectacularly. i don't believe there is a way around acqurately arcing the shoes if you want good brakes right away. or you can arc them in your bike by riding around with the brake on for a long time. but if you have enough meat to remove to get a perfect arc, you prob. won't be able to fit them into the drum in the first place....unless you have to use a lot of cam to deploy them out to the drum...at which point you might be quite thin at the leading edge to get full contact.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

or go back to michael morse at vintage brake. he did the last deal on my racer. was worth his (i think good) price.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, parks. Maybe I'll just send them to Mikey. He's going to be PO'd that I didn't let him rivet linings on - but it's supposed to be a low dollar Lightweight Production class racer. It might be that IB can get pretty darn close to drum ID using the various thickness's of compounds that they stock and i can just do a little clean up with a belt sander. We'll see.

if there's a machine shop nearby, it could be done without p.o.ing mr. morse. and maybe at a "low dollar" cost...
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

get the belt sander idea out of your head.

never bond brake material. ever. if youve ever seen one go, youd never do it again.

what parks said, take it with the backing plate to a machineshop. theyll chuck it up for you and youll be good to go. also, take the drum/wheel/axle. so they can measure it all.

dont be stupid. this is something thats going to keep you from crashing into something, or someone. have it done right.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Sponsored Links