Wheel Bearing
Close

Wheel Bearing

This is a discussion on Wheel Bearing within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi Gents: I need to drop my wheels off at the powdercoaters in the morning, but I cannot figure out how to remove the wheel ...

Thread: Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing

Hi Gents:

I need to drop my wheels off at the powdercoaters in the morning, but I cannot figure out how to remove the wheel bearing. The manual is extremly vague and unhelpful, so all advice is welcome.

I have the cast aluminum wheels from an RD400.

--Thanks, Chris

hammer, drift, meet wheel bearing. Start by relatively gently tapping (outside edge)around in a circle and if the bearing gives you grief - well, just hit that sucker harder. Don't forget to take the circlip out if there is one there. They're going to be scrapped anyway so don't worry about damaging which is impossible to avoid anyway. Just be careful not to damage the bore.

Hey, thanks for the help. I do have a wierd circlip in one. So I should yank that? Also, I have these tough little rubber seals. How do I pull those? Or do I need to? Do I just tap around them?

--Thanks, Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I got them. It turns out that the cast RD400 wheels need to be tapped from the INSIDE. It pretty much esures you'll have to buy a complete set of guts.

--Chris

good,

bearings are cheap and you need sealed bearings as well. Now just measure the ID, OD and thickness and order online unless you have a vintage friendly shop nearby. I've always found that modern shops are clueless about any parts for bikes more than 10 years old.

Remember to diagram an exploded sketch of each wheel as you take apart so that you can reassemble correctly. Remember those spacers/circlips!!, etc. Put new bearings in the freezer overnight before reassembly and don't take out until immediately prior to installation. Use a nice fingertip of grease for the bore and bearing OD. C;ean up that bore nicely with a scotchbrite piece, use no power tooks to clean up fit. Line up straight to bore and use a wooden dowel like 1" - 1 1/2" to tap in, all the way to shoulder. Don't use heat in the hub, shouldn't need it. DON'T tap bearing in from center - go around the outside - evenly - don't get that thing cocked in there or you'll be sorry. Slow and steady wins this race. I always get sealed bearings and never use those dust seals over-I just throw em away. By the way, before assembly, double check that you're putting the correct bearings into the right holes, then double check again. Check your axle fit - everything you can think of. Take your time.

Yeah, I meant remove circlips and reuse. Old bearings are going to be scrapped, reuse everything else if not lost or broken.

Sponsored Links