Cafe Racer Forum banner

Cam assembly issue

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  freedomgli 
#1 ·
Okay, here is the problem: The sidecover to the cam basket where the tachcable attaches is not fitting into the cam basket. It is off about 1 to 2mm. (too low) the other basket slides in okay. A spare cover also has the same issue. What did I do wrong? The cam chain does not seem to be hung up. The cam sprocket is on correctly (I believe). The full threaded bolt is close to the L on the cam sprocket. Is the L and line on the sprocket suppose to face the left side of the motor ? Does it matter? I am for a loss....any assistance would be appreciated. The valve springs are all within spec.

Pete

#4 ·
pete

remove the tensioner.. loosen the valves..... rotate the cam so the lobes are not opening the valves on the side you wish to slide into place. take your time and do not use a hammer to get the cam bearing on... gentle force is all you need. please get a shop manual... i have one somewhere... but it has been a long time since i have opened it. if you think you are having trouble with yours... try putting the top end together with a heavy duty cam chain... full race cam and thicker cam box gasket... can you say slightly more challenging?

take your time and double check your timing before you bolt everything together. once you are confident your timing is spot on.... take time to cafefully tighten everything properly with the correct torque specs. not so important on a stock motor... super important on a race motor. new gaskets everytime!!!!

change the oil.... i use torco t4r semi synth race oil. $10 a qt

matt

#5 ·
pete

remove the tensioner.. loosen the valves..... rotate the cam so the lobes are not opening the valves on the side you wish to slide into place. take your time and do not use a hammer to get the cam bearing on... gentle force is all you need. please get a shop manual... i have one somewhere... but it has been a long time since i have opened it. if you think you are having trouble with yours... try putting the top end together with a heavy duty cam chain... full race cam and thicker cam box gasket... can you say slightly more challenging?

take your time and double check your timing before you bolt everything together. once you are confident your timing is spot on.... take time to cafefully tighten everything properly with the correct torque specs. not so important on a stock motor... super important on a race motor. new gaskets everytime!!!!

change the oil.... i use torco t4r semi synth race oil. $10 a qt

matt

#8 ·
Pete,

You're talking about the side with the tach gear on it? Sometimes the gear on the end of the cam doesn't line up with the gear on the cam cover that drives the tach. Where the tach cable threads into the cam cover there is a tab that turns the tach cable. Turn this slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. This should allow the cover to slide in place. I'm talking about #5 in the assembly drawing above. And the valves all need to be loose or none of this will work.

And if none of this helps use the bigger hammer. These are just cheap ass hondas after all.
Craig

#9 ·
Pete,

You're talking about the side with the tach gear on it? Sometimes the gear on the end of the cam doesn't line up with the gear on the cam cover that drives the tach. Where the tach cable threads into the cam cover there is a tab that turns the tach cable. Turn this slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. This should allow the cover to slide in place. I'm talking about #5 in the assembly drawing above. And the valves all need to be loose or none of this will work.

And if none of this helps use the bigger hammer. These are just cheap ass hondas after all.
Craig

#14 ·
Thanks guys. I did do Craig's suggestion and did rotate the lobes before even posting the problem. That is why I am perplexed at why it won't lineup. I don't want to use a hammer if it is not lined up correctly. 1 to 2mm is a lot to be off...but if it is a usual issue, I will address it accordingly.

I won't get back to the basement to work on it until Wednesday, so I will let you all know how it works out.

Pete

#15 ·
Thanks guys. I did do Craig's suggestion and did rotate the lobes before even posting the problem. That is why I am perplexed at why it won't lineup. I don't want to use a hammer if it is not lined up correctly. 1 to 2mm is a lot to be off...but if it is a usual issue, I will address it accordingly.

I won't get back to the basement to work on it until Wednesday, so I will let you all know how it works out.

Pete

#22 ·
I was faced with the same puzzle today. One side would go on okay, the other was impossible. Then I found that I could rotate the crankshaft (and hence the camshaft) just so to get both sides to fit. Unfortunately, when I finally got everything together, I discovered the exhaust valves hit the pistons so I got to take a break to clear my head so I can figure things out. It could be the cam gear is off one tooth. Or perhaps it's 180° off. I dunno. Someone hand me a beer, I'm done for the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.