paint brand questions
Close

paint brand questions

This is a discussion on paint brand questions within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ive painted things before, my last project was my 63 fairlane. that turned out good. this time around i do NOT want to spend as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

paint brand questions

ive painted things before, my last project was my 63 fairlane.
    that turned out good.

this time around i do NOT want to spend as much. so i was wondering if anyone has found a good spray paint that gives nice results... or something else that doesnt require me borrowing a compressor! most important is the clear coat i want to put on, i want a very glass-like finish. all the chain auto shops around here carry the same brand and ive never been impressed with the results.
    honk if youre horny.

I believe that if you go to a paint specialty store that they can put real paint in rattle cans. The only other thing that I can add is that you should keep the can in hot water to improve atomization.

i used to put the spray cans on the gas space-heater back in my apartment days....never blew one up. as long as you don't need a pot holder, you're safe (probabley). that said, borrow a compressor and use a real gun. unless you're only spraying a small part, spray cans, even hot ones, can not deliver the required volume of product (paint) to get an acceptable finish. and the paint will be air dry, not catylized and therefore much less durable to the demands of the world.
    -parks
    or get friendly with a autobody shop...buy a case of good beer and the paint...and/or barter...you must be able to do something of value in return for a paint job.
    I\'m not handsome

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

My parts store will put automative paint in spray cans. Will even add hardener if I want. Have to it watch though. I had a couple cans of semi-gloss black w/hardener that stayed good over a year. Last winter had them mix up some silver/grey, that went hard within a day. It's not cost effective for anything very big. They're hooking me close to twenty bucks a can.

It doesn't take much air to paint. A cheapy roll-around compressor with a good oil/moisture trap and regulator should do for bike stuff.

i want a real smooth and glassy look to it... i guess i better suck it up and use a damn compressor.
    honk if youre horny.

Prep work is key no matter how you apply, not to mention all the sanding and buffing you will need to do. You can always rent or borrow a compressor, or just pay someone to paint the tins for you. That would probably cheaper in the long run, but then you don't get to say you did it without your pants trying to catch on fire (though that might keep your knees warm.)

quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

Prep work is key no matter how you apply, not to mention all the sanding and buffing you will need to do. You can always rent or borrow a compressor, or just pay someone to paint the tins for you. That would probably cheaper in the long run, but then you don't get to say you did it without your pants trying to catch on fire (though that might keep your knees warm.)
    HA!
    honk if youre horny.

I've used Duplicolor engine paint followed with duplicolor engine clear. i like it because its fuel resistant. the clear is pretty thick and gets rid of sand marks and small scratches if you use a thick coat (it will look the best with a thick coat, but not enough to run)
    strip all stock paint as the old paint and the new paint will not bond and after a few minutes, your notice the new paint lifting.

for real paint with a gun, i use Valspar products and have had great luck with it. I dont' even have to buff or wetsand out any orange peel if its fairly warm and i get a good coat on it.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Ive been using precat nitro cabinet paint. i have tons of it. and its gasoline proof! 35bucks a gallon.

jc

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I am a big fan of rustoleum "stops rust" rattle cans. Single stage enamel. I have gotten awesome results by wetsanding with increasing grit between every two coats and it comes out glass like. Here is the problem - it is single stage and takes forever to cure. There is a clear rustoleum makes that you can shoot over it and I am sure you could get mile deep if you sand between coats again but this process takes a loooooooong time.

The best part though? you can do it with a roller if you want, 80% pain 20% thinner and a soft trim roller - wet sand between coats allow 24 hours to dry before wetsanding and applying. Takes several days to do but I can't imagine anything cheaper.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links