need a longer fuel tank
Close

need a longer fuel tank

This is a discussion on need a longer fuel tank within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ok, since im in the works of putting on a fiberglass cafe seat. I want to use my factory honda steal tank, but its going ...

need a longer fuel tank

ok, since im in the works of putting on a fiberglass cafe seat. I want to use my factory honda steal tank, but its going to need to be streched, hows the best way to do this, i did price out some aftermarket vintage replica fiberglass tanks and boy they are very $$$.$$

there is a right way to do things and a worse way... unfortunately the right way cost money ... in the end, the initial more expensive way is cheaper

i speak from experience
    latered

Depends on how much you know. Wanna clue us in to your skills? If you don't have the skills, hand monkey the bills and be done with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

for one my welds are crap and for one, i would melt a big hole into the tank before i even got it started. lol

how about a 70's yamaha rd tank? they are pretty long and narrow and could possibly fit.....that would be a pretty cheap and cheerful route.

ps- how's the cb125 coming along? mine is uhh...err....on hold for a while...

yeah as long as the tunnel is the same .

I got the motor almmost complete now, been swapping out cams left and right to find the right one, the cams are coasting the most time and money right now, had a custom Reverse Megaphone Cone Without Baffle made, witch makes it sound very nice at high rpms. like the old vingate race bike from back in the day, as for that its going smooth, i think with in another yr she will be road ready. I changed from a cafe to a more road racer look, with a fiberglass honda CR93 fairing, and a CR110 tail. this is my little honda replica ISLE MAN TT RACER. witch wont ever be pushed to the limits because of my tires. lol my tank need to be 4.5" longer right now for the lines to match and blend in. next winter on that, for now alot of dyno tuning time. at my buddys shop. getting the motor tuned in. last she made 14.2 RWHP and 6.7 ft-lbs.
    stock was 7.23 hp and 4.37 ft-lbs. that was dec of 07 the motor has come along way, we think theres more power to be found, with this new 32mm flatslide carb, as we just couldnt get it to pull any higher with a 28mm carb. this new carb has a custom intake made, witch has been port matched to the head. kinda like a velocity stack but backwards. it should work. as the head is an XR200 head modifed to work with the CB125S bottom end, has much larger valves, and larger ports. the head has bench flowbenched and ported for peak flow, we are hoping for 15 - 16 rwhp, and another .5 - 1 ft-lb out of it. this will bring it more then double of the stock motor had. and should make it go very nicley.

this summer is all tuning and getting the finial drive gearing right, for best performance, and working out the bugs with wiring and fairing fitment.

I can't find a link anymore but I saw a posting somewhere that showed a pretty interesting way to fill the space left after adding a glass seat. He ended up with something like 5" to fill so he got a second tank and cut it in half right after the gas cap and slipped it over the rear portion of the existing gas tank. I think his was coated with bedliner but you could paint it to match, have it upholstered whatever. I think his ignition bits or something similar were stashed under it too. You could add a small hinge at the top and a single dzur fastener at the back and have a little storage space.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

now thats a good idea, right theres, i could put my 6v battery and my relays up in there. wow, if you can find the link. let me know. I ll start looking for such a post my self, I would smooth it in and paint to look like a one piece longer tank. and just stuff everything up in side it and haveit bolt down like a large tank.

wow thanks dude, i didnt think of that.

Sponsored Links