fiberglass sidecovers
Close

fiberglass sidecovers

This is a discussion on fiberglass sidecovers within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; so im finally getting around to making some permanent sidecovers for my bike in preparation for the new paint job im gonna do. so after ...

fiberglass sidecovers

so im finally getting around to making some permanent sidecovers for my bike in preparation for the new paint job im gonna do.

so after i track down a good chunk of foam to cut into and shape... do i lay out the epoxy mixture stuff over that shape or do i make a mold?

also, since im not making a gas tank or anything load bearing i guess i wont need too great of a product... any info on a cheaper fiberglass kit?

i searched on here but only found a link to dotheton.
    honk if youre horny.

you could use polyester resins; they're usually cheaper than the epoxies. they're also a lot more aromatic so make sure you have plenty of open space and circulation. It's hard to do this stuff on the cheap, tho. you got all your chemicals, the glass, foam, tools, eye protection, gloves, sand paper, filler...then the freakin' paint...

I'd poke around the boating forums for applicable techniques. there are probably a lot of articles on auto body work that would be directly transferable, too. I spent a lot of time looking through issues of epoxy works. but there's lots of good printed reading material out there, too.
    better is the enemy of good enough.

It's still a good idea to use good materials.

If you've got the old side covers you can make a plaster female mold and then wax that before laying your pieces up. If you're using a male mold you'll be in for a lot more finish work just to get the parts smooth enough to paint. It'll take a bit more time but a well prep'd female mold will make your life easier in the long run.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

alright... plaster mold first for sure. recommendations on who to purchase it from?
    honk if youre horny.

Sponsored Links