swingarm swap.
Close

swingarm swap.

This is a discussion on swingarm swap. within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Howdy, I'm new to the forum so if this was already addressed, please steer me in the right direction. I've just bought a 77 cb5750 ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: swingarm swap.

swingarm swap.

Howdy, I'm new to the forum so if this was already addressed, please steer me in the right direction. I've just bought a 77 cb5750 SS from Lossa Engineering in Long Beach, CA. I saw the same bike on craigslist but the owner had put on a Nighthawk rear swingarm which added 2" to the length and changed the angle of the shocks. Looks pretty cool. How much work is involved with this kind of mod? Drastic handling changes? Thanks

got a pic? I like Lossa's bikes. Tastes may differ but good execution is something most appreciate. Sorry, i didn't answer either question did i?
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

got a pic? I like Lossa's bikes. Tastes may differ but good execution is something most appreciate. Sorry, i didn't answer either question did i?
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Post a pic!

Post a pic!

So here's the bike I just bought. Paint changes and a new tank are coming. Probably try to tinker with it at first to get used to working on bikes. Plan to do some major stuff next winter.

Here's the bike I saw on Craigslist.

Here's the link to the add in case anyone is interested...
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1098365416.html

So here's the bike I just bought. Paint changes and a new tank are coming. Probably try to tinker with it at first to get used to working on bikes. Plan to do some major stuff next winter.

Here's the bike I saw on Craigslist.

Here's the link to the add in case anyone is interested...
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1098365416.html

Oh, and my bike aint shiny nor am I an ignorant asshole.....I'm just new to the world of cafe racers and am eager to learn about them.

Oh, and my bike aint shiny nor am I an ignorant asshole.....I'm just new to the world of cafe racers and am eager to learn about them.

ok the CL ad probably didn't use a nighthawk swingarm since most of the Nighthawk swingarms are shaft drive. From the pics it looks like he used a 1979-1982 cb750 DOHC swingarm which is pretty much a bolt on mod except for a small mod you have to do. Most DOHC swingarms have a lopsided pivot and you need to cut the pivot to be even on both sides so it is the right length to bolt into a cb750 frame. A DOHC arm adds 2 inches to the K frame (the bike you like on CL) but only 1 inch to the SS because the 77 SS swingarm is already 1 inch longer than the K arm.

This post has pics on the different swingarms and where to cut (you have to sign in to view the pics):
    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=34880.0

as to what it would do to your bike is kill the handling. I would at least try go to to 14" shock if you want to extend the arm like that. I know you think it looks cool and all but really it is a shit move.

Now about your Lossa eng bike. Somewhat clean but lossa doesn't know shit about cb750s so I would venture to say he actually made yours handle worse than a stocker. How you ask? well on a cb750 the front fender is a fork brace, and when you delete it you need to put something there to make up for the loss of rigidity. Otherwise your forks are going to deflect under cornering, worse than that heavy road groves will push your front end around and kill what dampning the forks will give you. you don't have to go to a front fender but you need some kind of brace. The cheapest way to make a brace is to cut the mounting bracket out of the stock fender. It is not as strong as the bracket with fender but it is better than what you have. I am not keen on the cheap ass pod filters but eh - you will learn soon enough all about those. basically what you have is a STYLE RACER - not a real cafe racer, you want a real cafe bike you have some work cut out for you. cafe racers don't just look the part they have to function and your bike as too many consessions to style for the sake of perf.

dare I ask, what is wrong with the stock SS tank that you want to shit can it. they are nice tanks and give extra fuel without the ugly look of the 77-78 K tanks.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links