get your forks straight
Close

get your forks straight

This is a discussion on get your forks straight within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hi, i'm JB and i lurk. got Hurricane front end for the FT500 P.I.T.A. project but they have a slight bend. very slight. so slight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JB

get your forks straight

hi, i'm JB and i lurk.

got Hurricane front end for the FT500 P.I.T.A. project but they have a slight bend. very slight. so slight that i'm thinking about ways to straighten them out and keep these tubes. these tubes are hard to come by due to the slot for the clipons. got a trick to get straight?

or should i try:

did you see the pics of kens ascot with the hurricane front end??

its in the vintage race section under what should i race.....

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

i straightened a set of forks on an ex-250 with my 12 ton shop press and 2 2x4's. i cut square grooves in the wood to accomdate the fork tube. i didnt even have to use heat, i just left the tubes in the press for about 5 minutes.
    fat people are harder to kidnap

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Its real difficult to do modern forks because the tubing is so thin it tends to collapse.
    I'd try and straighten them but be prepared to buy new inner tubes if it screws up.
    They need complete disassembly or you could bend the outers instead

PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

They will straighten with no problem, if you are easy on them. I had the forks straightened on my FZ600 at he local machine shop in about 10 min, $30. They were bent near the lower triple clamp, so I didn't even have to dissassemble them. If they are kinked or creased at all, do not straighten or use them as they can crack in half at the stress point and cause you to crash and die. I mean it, don't do it.

My Ascot has the stock forks and a Hurricane wheel with a single disk from a Shadow on it, since I want it to be Superstock legal. But the CBR front end bolts on pretty easily.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ken, maybe you got lucky but don't assume all are the same.
    You don't know where the lower pivot point was as the forks compress when they hit something. Just because they go up and down doesn't mean they are right.
    I've done thousands of forks over the years and prefer to do it properly, some just can be fixed and some peoples definition of 'slight bend' is different to others
    There is an awful lot of really dodgy stuff being done, some of it downright dangerous.
    I did motorcycle inspections in Britain for several years, it amazes me how blase people are about their safety, including those racing. Have you ever looked at FIM regulations?

PJ

Ken, maybe you got lucky but don't assume all are the same.
    You don't know where the lower pivot point was as the forks compress when they hit something. Just because they go up and down doesn't mean they are right.
    I've done thousands of forks over the years and prefer to do it properly, some just can be fixed and some peoples definition of 'slight bend' is different to others
    There is an awful lot of really dodgy stuff being done, some of it downright dangerous.
    I did motorcycle inspections in Britain for several years, it amazes me how blase people are about their safety, including those racing. Have you ever looked at FIM regulations?

PJ

PJ,
    I am not disagreeing with you as I have also straightened a multitude of bent forks in shops and dealerships. Luck doesn't really have much to do with it. Experience and skill are what it takes. I knew that my forks were only slightly bent and where the bend was. I also knew that since I don't have access to a press to do it myself, I needed to go to a machine shop that knew how to use their equipment. So, if you know what you are doing or know a shop that does, then many fork tubes can be straightened, but it is not something to be risked if they are questionable at all.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar

PJ,
    I am not disagreeing with you as I have also straightened a multitude of bent forks in shops and dealerships. Luck doesn't really have much to do with it. Experience and skill are what it takes. I knew that my forks were only slightly bent and where the bend was. I also knew that since I don't have access to a press to do it myself, I needed to go to a machine shop that knew how to use their equipment. So, if you know what you are doing or know a shop that does, then many fork tubes can be straightened, but it is not something to be risked if they are questionable at all.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    Evan Esar

JB
    by "slightly bent" i mean this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links