CB350 Kick Only Starter
Close

CB350 Kick Only Starter

This is a discussion on CB350 Kick Only Starter within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey Im new to the site I bought a 72 CB 350 Twin. I wanna make it a Kick only, I want to take off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CB350 Kick Only Starter

Hey Im new to the site I bought a 72 CB 350 Twin. I wanna make it a Kick only, I want to take off all other wires except the bare minimun to kick it over. Does anyone have any tips or diagrams that could help me. I know Ill need to keep the battery, IM just looking to shave some weight and I like the Idea of Kick only. Thanks MATT

Welcome to the board. Good call on removing the femstarter. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. They're weenies. Anyway, there's a lot of info on this very subject in the archives. You should be able to learn a lot by savvily using the search function and sifting through the posts. You'll have to take the left-side engine cover off to remove the electric starter gear and chain that will come loose when the starter's removed. The starter hole can be plugged with an expandable rubber freeze plug you can get at auto parts stores. Don't use any sealant, as it'll cause the plug to pop out when tightening it. As far as the wiring goes, there's a few options. The best way would be to make a new harness with only the wires you need. This can be a daunting task if you're not experience with wiring, though. The easier way is to use the stock harness and just cut out the wires you don't need. You'll want a wiring diagram before you try this. If you don't have one and can't find one on the internet, send me a PM and I'll zerox mine and send it to you. A lot of guys think chopping up the stock harness is butchery, but I think that it's a good enough plan if you take the time to do it right. Insulate the ends of any wires you cut. That'll keep things from shorting out if you misjudge whether a wire is hot or not. The easiest route would be to just take off the heavy gauge wire to the starter and remove the starter solenoid, taping up the solenoid wires really well and tucking them away. Good luck with it. You'll be able to find what you need to know here, assuming you don't get your feelings hurt too easily.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

Yeah Im not changing my mind about the kick only. I already took the wiring harness of the Bike and Didnt want to get into it real deep and screw something up. I couldnt find any diagrams that would help me. If you could send me your that would be awesome. Thanks,

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

PM me your address and I'll send it off. Just click on my username to go to my profile and there's a spot for "send an email".
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

hmmm...

as much as we all hate the "femstarters", what do you do on those days when your bike is cold, and you just get pissed off kicking it over a million times to no avail. Granted, a bike in good running order will always kick over, but its just tiring to kick over a bike like this xP

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    [?][)]
    PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Quite honestly, my CB350 starts after 3-5 kicks or so, even on the coldest of days. Just give it a few full-choke kicks with the ignition off to get some fuel in the cylinders, turn the ignition on and give it a good kick. Fires right up.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

I love smack talk on the internet it makes people tough, anyways Im not scared of kickin' a bike over. Im not gunna fall apart.

heh....

How much does the electric starter and components way anyway?

About 10 pounds when everything is off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links