drive gear/driven gear questions
Close

This is a discussion on drive gear/driven gear questions within the Technical forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; so, if im replacing my rear wheel and drive gear(to a larger sprocket)... should i also replace my driven? im jumping from a 36t to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so, if im replacing my rear wheel and drive gear(to a larger sprocket)... should i also replace my driven?

im jumping from a 36t to a 45, and changing my chain too of course.
    honk if youre horny.

it's always recommended to change the pair at the same time... that's the conventional wisdom. that said, if the front sprocket is in good shape and showing no sign of wear you could just do the rear. considerations are things like, how much is the new front sprocket... if it's $15 and you're not sure if it's in fine shape then it might be a good investment to go along with your $100 chain and $80 rear (i'm making up prices to illustrate the point) or if your rear is showing slight wear but it's aluminum and your front sprocket is steel, then again, you might just get the rear. unless the front is reeeeeally pooched the only real issue is how much faster you'll wear out the other components. you pay now or you pay later! you can only defer maintenance, you can never avoid it!
    1970 CB350K2

that's a massive jump in tooth count. What the heck would you large for? If you don't raise the tooth count up front you'll end up with a quick blast 0-30mph or so then nothing......
    Again...why such a massive difference?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

its the gear that came with the rear wheel i bought,much better shape than my current one. also the current sprocket wont fit as im putting a kawasaki wheel on a honda.
    honk if youre horny.

You're gonna want to get a more suitable rear sprocket amigo.......seriously.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

do you even know if the chain is the same???

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

the chain isnt the same, had to buy a new one and take a few links out.

i dont know where to find a smaller sprocket for a kawa wheel from the seventies before i go to work tomorrow... so i'll have to ride this set up til atleast the weekend.

whats the main problem with a sprocket that size? my kawasaki kz 400 has the same rear wheel set up...
    honk if youre horny.

You won't need to use first gear.

Guessing that the (honda) gearbox sprocket is around 16 teeth, the 36T rear sprocket gives a 2.25:1 ratio. The 45T rear gives a 2.81:1 ratio, or about 20% different. That means that your rear wheel will go around 20% slower with the 45T rear sprocket. So, first gear will become irrelevant, and top gear will be winding out 20% sooner (at somewhere around 70 mph). Good scrambles set up.

I'm guessing that the KZ400 comes with a much larger gearbox sprocket.

damn, well maybe i can pull the sprocket out of the kz for the time being. what would be a better size to run with a 45t???
    honk if youre horny.

A 20T gearbox sprocket would you give the same ratio... if it will physically fit in the space at the gearbox, and if your present gearbox sprocket is indeed 16T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links