A Pod Filter Thread for Geeto.....
Close

This is a discussion on A Pod Filter Thread for Geeto..... within the Tips and Tricks forums, part of the Technical category; As much as the cheap EMGO pods are hated here, I figured I'd make a thread that bolsters what Geeto (and others) have said. First ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A Pod Filter Thread for Geeto.....

As much as the cheap EMGO pods are hated here, I figured I'd make a thread that bolsters what Geeto (and others) have said.

First of all, I have a '79 GS550 with VM slide carbs. The guy I bought this project from, had gathered a bunch of parts for it, including a set of Emgo pods.

Here they are on the bike, after I rebuilt the carbs:
    Name:  032.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  127.8 KB

If you remove the rubber boot from the pretty, shiny chrome part and put it on the bike, you notice a couple of things:
    1. The actual opening is much smaller than the carb throat. This causes resistance in the air flow (particularly at high RPMs) and the step in size causes turbulence, disrupting the laminar flow.
    And 2. The boot blocks the air passages to the pilot jet and air pilot screw circuits.
    Name:  087.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  088.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  73.6 KB

The original air box boots are shaped like a velocity stack to give the air a smooth flow into the carb throat. This is one of the center boots for my GS. The outside boots, actually look like elbows to turn the air 90 degrees into the throat:
    Name:  097.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  35.4 KB

I ordered a set of K&N filters, but while I was waiting, I figured I'd play around with the Emgos. I cut the hole out and installed the original boot in the pod:
    Name:  096.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  33.7 KB
    Name:  098.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  34.4 KB
    Name:  100.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  55.2 KB

This would give you the smooth laminar flow, but would not address the poor filtering that the metal mesh provides. It would, also, require getting two more boots from another airbox, because the elbow shape of the 1 and 4 boots would not work well.

Now my K&N arrived. For the GS550 they have a kit that has two short and two longer filters (#RC0884). That way the outer filters don't hit the frame.
    Name:  092.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  85.8 KB

Looking down the filter, you see that there is no step, or change in the inner diameter, and the shape of the boot flares inside the filter to act as a velocity stack.
    Name:  095.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  60.8 KB

So when someone feels all butt hurt when Geeto or one of the others ridicules your el cheepo chrome filters.......well, now you know.
    Last edited by 8ball; 08-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    pwalo likes this.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    As much as the cheap EMGO pods are hated here, I figured I'd make a thread that bolsters what Geeto (and others) have said.

First of all, I have a '79 GS550 with VM slide carbs. The guy I bought this project from, had gathered a bunch of parts for it, including a set of Emgo pods.

If you remove the rubber boot from the pretty, shiny chrome part and put it on the bike, you notice a couple of things:
    1. The actual opening is much smaller than the carb throat. This causes resistance in the air flow (particularly at high RPMs) and the step in size causes turbulence, disrupting the laminar flow.
    And 2. The boot blocks the air passages to the pilot jet and air pilot screw circuits.

So when someone feels all butt hurt when Geeto or one of the others ridicules your el cheepo chrome filters.......well, now you know.
    Your getting a pat on the back for posting those pics, glad you took the time to show everyone.
    Hopefully it will stay somewhere to be referred to next time someone wants cheap pods
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

I certainly understand now why pods make less power. I am glad you posted because I hate when some one says don't do this and then can't explain why. Well you certainly did and I thank you.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

good post, but mainly thanks for the tip on the rear set parts, the "shackle with a removable pin". i ordered 2 and got them yesterday. should make life alot easier, thanks again, tom
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

BTW, if you fit cheap pods on CV carbs, the 'overlap' will prevent slide lifting properly
    Can you post the pics on DTT?
    They need them
    BigAl8295 likes this.

That's because the orifice circled in the picture, below is what creates the vacuum to lift the slides in a CV carb. Blocking that orifice will slow down the vacuum and venting to lift and lower the slide. (you probably know that, but I am just clarifying why.)

Name:  CVs.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  55.2 KB

*this photo is from GSresources.net
    Last edited by 8ball; 08-19-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Good deal, I tend to assume everyone will extrapolate what I'm saying, now there shouldn't be any confusion
    BTW, that's the atmospheric port, the vacuum is above the diaphragm, atmospheric pressure pushes the slide up (that should cause even more confusion than the steering thread )
    Last edited by crazypj; 01-23-2013 at 07:39 PM.

PJ you should include your explanation of the mid/top range rich/lean mis-match when pods are used with CV carbs so we can use this thread as a one stop package and can refer to in the future.
    -

I had the emgo pods on my CX, ran OK (sort of) but not well at all. Finally noticed this issue and switched over to MikeXS pods a few months ago, they also have the internal velocity stack and dont block the ports (on the CX carbs the emgo pods blocked the ports completley). It's a different bike after the cheap ass pods got chucked in the bin.

This pic shows how badly they block the ports on the CX carbs

Cheers
    Steve

I would, if I could remember where it is or what I said

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links