Catalina Grand Prix coming back for 2010!
Close

This is a discussion on Catalina Grand Prix coming back for 2010! within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi guys, All right, the site just went up and all the information is now available online. Basically, if you want to see the old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys,

All right, the site just went up and all the information is now available online. Basically, if you want to see the old bikes run you need to be on the island Saturday morning before 8am. Classic, vintage and post vintage bikes will start at 8:15am Saturday 12/4. Entries are via regular mail, and are opened as of 9/8. $250 entry fee includes shipping your bike. No beginner or novice classes, and they want you to list some previous races and finishes on the entry form, which I think means they are going to take the best riders first. No word on how many riders can sign up.

80% off road, 20% on road, and they are narrow twisty roads. They are running Vintage MX (pre-1974), "Classic" (1974-1979), and Evo (1979-1985) classes, which are typical AMA regional club vintage classes, but also AHRMA Premier LTW, Premier 500, and Premier Open Twin. This means you can strip down a CL160 or CL72, or even a Triumph twin, or Ducati single and race.

If you miss this, there may never be another.

Here's the link:
    http://www.thecatalinagrandprix.com/REGISTRATION.html

For those of you that don't know anything about this historic race, here's a summary: The original was run from 1951-1958 on a course that measured about 10 miles. That course consisted paved road through the town of Avalon, dirt roads through the hills, some trails riding, and some of the golf course. The idea was to produce a race that would be the American IoM. At the time it was considered a pretty important race and attracted lots of international talent. In 1958, Yamaha went to test the waters, and make a name for themselves in the American market. Lucky for us, they shot a movie of it.

This could be a once in a lifetime event. This is as big as a AHRMA vintage supercross running at the L.A. Coliseum.

Woody
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

I picked up the "Motorcyclist" magazine project bike for this race last weekend. (63 YDS 250cc twin) Engine went to Scott Clough and everything else went to the editor. Complete resto job. Looking forward to the race.

Kind of what they're going for although the pipes may be up and probably no front fender

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Here it is. Yamaha sold - in the early 60's - a "Scrambler Kit" for the YDS2. This is what the bike for the Catalina GP will look like. Cool

quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

Here it is. Yamaha sold - in the early 60's - a "Scrambler Kit" for the YDS2. This is what the bike for the Catalina GP will look like. Cool
    I remember when Yamaha made its debut in the U.S. at the 1958 Catalina GP. Future GP star Fumio Ito impressed on a similar machine:

http://www.classicyams.com/personali...to-part-1.html

Eric Mercer
    WERA/AHRMA

Unless something else drops into my lap, I will be on my Elsinore GP Husqvarna CR400. BTW-The Elsinore GP will be happening in November about a month before Catalina. Similar event, more dirty. Doable on just about anything. I've raced it 4 years on a stripped down CL450.

Scott Clough did the motor work on my Husky as well.
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

I haven't been invited or had my application approved yet. Maybe I'll just support team stuff. Going fast kind of scares me a little and I have only won one race in the dirt and it was because I was the only entry in my class except for some dude on a Penton who crashed early on

Okay, I haven't mentioned this race, for fear of jinxing it...

But my name is on the list, marked paid, and the hotel room is booked. Just try and stop me now!

quote:Originally posted by mercer854

quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

I remember when Yamaha made its debut in the U.S. at the 1958 Catalina GP. Future GP star Fumio Ito impressed on a similar machine:

http://www.classicyams.com/personali...to-part-1.html
    nice number plates fumio.

eric....if you remember that, someone needs to sit you down and explain to you that going as fast as you do at the race track, at such an advanced age, is not going to end well. you really neev to slow the eff down!!!

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

quote:

nice number plates fumio.

eric....if you remember that, someone needs to sit you down and explain to you that going as fast as you do at the race track, at such an advanced age, is not going to end well. you really neev to slow the eff down!!!

Joe,
    I don't have to worry about injuries next season...next week I qualify for Medicare!
    Eric Mercer
    WERA/AHRMA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links