CB350 Racer Build questions
Close

This is a discussion on CB350 Racer Build questions within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I recently started building a CB350 racer. I built a CB160 racer four years ago. I have a many questions regarding the bike modifications. If ...

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

I recently started building a CB350 racer. I built a CB160 racer four years ago. I have a many questions regarding the bike modifications. If anyone has experience with the mods, I'd sure like some input.
    I plan to make the following modifications; T500 front brake. They seem affordable and increase the brake area. Do you use the T500 axle or is it custom built? Which front cable is used with the T500 hub? I assume it is teh T500 cable, but I am unsure if I will need the T500 brake handle.
    I plan to replace the front forks with EX500 forks. Do you use the T500 axle, the ex500 axle or is it custom built?
    I have teh KA slipper for teh cam chain tensioner. I sounds like some have ground the rivets on the slipper. Others have ground the chain channel in the cylinder. Which is prefered and what do I need to be aware of so I don't screw up one or the other.
    I will be running a total loss system to start with. Which coils are most folks using? Do the stock coils fire at the same time? The CB160 has a 180 degree crank.
    The first engine will be stock - for budget reasons. 1st over, cleaned up heads etc.
    I'm sure I will have additional questions soon. Thanks.
    CB160 smiling racer

smart way to go. look for a cb450 brake. its a better brake strength wise. the t500 can be prone to cracking around the hub. coils do not fire at the same time. thats easy to tell. ive used jcwhiney coils, and bj has run vfr coils. clearance the head....not the rivets.

not sure what the ex uses for an axle.

who will you be racing with?

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

I race with OMRRA in PDX. I have also raced AHRMA the last two years, once in UT and last year in PDX. Thanks for the info. I'll look for a 459 hub.
    CB160 smiling racer

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i would open up the chain chase in the jug rather than mess with the rivets that hold it together.

not knowing on ex forks axle question.

coils depends on ignition. when i ran a dyna, i went with dyna coils.....now that i run a PVL i use PVL coils.

careful with the T500 brake......search for jam614's posts on the subject.....you might think twice after seeing his pix.

good luck!

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

WHOA!!

Ron
    The CB450 is a fine brake, but don't rule out the T500 brake just yet...especially the one I'll be selling very shortly! Jack Cole gets first refusal, so if he passes, I'll be selling the entire front wheel assembly, minus the tire, very soon.

Joe
    please don't tell people to simply NOT use the T500 brake, but instead just present the facts, and let them decide. There have certainly been cracked hubs, but careful gusseting of the T500 hub provides the needed strength, and of course the brake is lighweight and effective. Buff Harsh has used the T500 for years on the planet's fastest CB350 without incident. My brake was properly done by the go-to guy for this, Rick Breckon, the hub webbing reinforced, backing plate scooped, hub vented and polished.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

About $800 to make this Excel 18X2.15" aluminum rim and arced T500 brake combo w/2520V race compound. All this (minus the tire) assembled, blueprinted and ready to go for the low low price of only $500!

Jack?

OOPS! I forgot, Jack already bought an old Honda brake.
    Eric Mercer
    WERA/AHRMA

quote:Originally posted by texmawby

...careful with the T500 brake......search for jam614's posts on the subject.....you might think twice after seeing his pix.

good luck!

tex
    O.K. I'll buy that..."careful". In other words, make sure the brake has been made fit for racing.
    Eric Mercer
    WERA/AHRMA

Eric, Even though I have had a bad experience with my ungusseted T500 brake, I am interested as it with be an easy swap to get my 350 race-worthy. Would you take $400? Maybe some of the Summit bound racer can bring it north, or better yet maybe it would be a good excuse to head south and race.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    [email protected]

omg

the t500 is fine. but you absolutely do have to pay attention to it. oh....and you have to reinforce it. oh....and it can crack an collapse.....maybe....oh...and before you have the wheel built, send the entire thing to craig breckon, in georgia, or where ever. so it can be made structurally sound. and welded, and lightened....then, have it shipped back to the west coast, where vintage brake will build the wheel, then turn and true it etc.....just ship the freaking thing all over the country....why not?

i have never heard of any of these issues plaguing the cb450 brake. hence my comment.

you want to use a brake thats known to have issues? well.....go for it. some people have them and love them (honestly). others do not. but the fact that its happened to more than a few people, says to me....steer clear. btw, scott wall ran his with no problems at all. bucky runs his fine too. given the choice, if you can, steer clear. if one falls in your lap, for cheap money....absolutely go for it. just be sure to keep an eye on it.

and you dont have the resources of a guy like buff.

thats my advice. and im stickin to it!!

for me, like was once uttered...."once you go buffalo, no never go back!"

and like tex said....best not to carve those rivets off. a failure of the tensioner could result in catastrophic engine damage.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Eric,
    Thanks much for the offer. That is a bit out of my budget right now. It looks like a great setup. To get the bike ready for the beginning of the season, I'm aon a bit of a budget. I hope to have a stout engine (#2) be the summer. I still have some mods to make on my 160's as well, so I am working on making the CB350 a true budget racer to start with. I appreciate the information and I am very interested in seeing photos of the gusseting. Thanks! Good luck this year.

Ron Bloker
    OMRRA #427
    CB160 smiling racer

eric,

i comment based on my own level of attention and detail. if i had a T500 brake and it worked and stopped me, i doubt i would ever check it through the season(s).....i was just throwing it out there to any guys/gals that are lazy and complacent like myself.

besides.....looks like jeff wants it!

tex

p.s. - jeff, pickup is at summit point in april! bring the family, pets, and the tents!
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links