Good Wood..
Close

Good Wood..

This is a discussion on Good Wood.. within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No not a bad joke, if you have speed channel try and cath "Good Wood Revival" It's a 2 part Vintage Racing series. The 2nd ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Wood..

Good Wood..

No not a bad joke, if you have speed channel try and cath "Good Wood Revival" It's a 2 part Vintage Racing series. The 2nd part starts with motorcycle racing. Pretty cool shit, especially if you like Nortons.

Cheers, A.D.

I should be there for it next year. I cant wait! And those for the most part arent real nortons i dont think. (gee, how many times have you sat in a bar and thought that!?) I think those are mostly modern nortons racing. Im hoping to make it over for the revival next september. If kirsten and i go, we will have vip passes from lotus to get into everything. woohoo!!!

jc

Goodwood isn't really a race and 90% of the vehciles are real. Basically, it is an estate with a race track on it and while the cars and bikes are techincally competeting they are too valuable for the sort of fenderbashing that comes in real racing. There is also a flying aprade lap for the vechiles that are not competition prepped or the onwers don't want them mashed. For the last couple of years General motors has shipped everything there from smokey yunick stock cars to the firebird prototypes (I, II, and III from the 50's and 60's) to do flying parade laps and Ford has sent what original GT40s it could get a hold of for the "Races". If there are real D-type jaguars and real factory zo6 corvettes (60's not new) mixing it up why would you think the nortons aren't real? I think even the real Sonoco camaros from the 60's have spun a wheel there (but they are also still raced in SCCA). I know Paul Smart raced there this year in the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy.

Anyway here is the official site:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/revival/

here is a good site for 1999 pictures.

http://www.goodwood-racing.com/g99reval/BIKES.htm

and I know at least one of the nortons was real because a friend of mine sent his '62 manx norton there and that bike is real as it can get.

the Festival of Speed is also really good with even more "star" cars and bikes (this is the one where Honda uses bikes from it's collection and Sammy Miller's Museum also brings bikes) There is a hill climb for cars and bikes (TT) but it is more focused on people like Ago, spenser, etc...:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

Edited by - Geeto67 on Dec 20 2005 11:08:15 AM

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yeah, and d'angelo doesnt really race his 200 and 350 hard.

get a clue. i dont know how much racing youve done, but ive done a little and trust me, there is plenty of racing going on. obsolete doesnt sponser guys who cant or wont win becasue they dont want to wad a bike.

jc

geet,

what i think joe is talking about is the replica nortons. in my opinion a molnar, summerfeld, or petty manx norton replica is not the same as your buddies 1962.

in my honest opinion they aren't the same. i still would love to ride/own one, but matching a replica against an original isn't fair or competitive.

and you can bet your ass if joe c and i were able to ride our cb350's there, we would definately race, trade paint, and make complete asses of ourselves.

peace,

tex "the graduate" mawby

damn joe, you beat me by six minutes in that post. it's like i got lapped.

tex

joe,

i remember seeing roper wad a bunch of bikes just doin' the do!

f'ing g50's summersalting, etc.

my favorite was when he went off nhis around t9/10 into the gravel. there was a giant clusterfuck that occured then, red flagged, etc...

team obsolete run the bike back to their garage, hold the g50 up on its rear wheel, and eric green begins beating the exhaust pipe with a hammer. about four pounds of gravel came out, they threw the bike down on it's front, rope jumps on, eric pushes him off, and jumps on his bike, obsolete makes the restart and i think placed one and two.

that's racing.....

and winning.

tex

Well, they may not be "Racing" but they were swapping paint and at least 1 of the "Nortons" witha 57yr old rider binned it. And plenty of classic cars ate shit. As far as I could tell all the bikes and cars were "Real" period racers. Most with some history... At least according to "Jackie Stuart"...

Cheers, A.D.

quote:
    yeah, and d'angelo doesnt really race his 200 and 350 hard.

get a clue. i dont know how much racing youve done, but ive done a little and trust me, there is plenty of racing going on. obsolete doesnt sponser guys who cant or wont win becasue they dont want to wad a bike.

jc
    I can't speak to motorcycle road racing but after this summer's catastrophe at road america with SCCA there are a lot of owners who are skittish abotu racing their prize cars against replicas. In case you didn't hear about it this pic should give you the gist:

Most of there cars were real (the yello mustang was the Parnelli jones 1970 boss) and a total loss. What you cant see is the cobra buried under the pile up (a real cobra).

As for Team obsolete, I know a few of their ex-riders and they are all a bunch of great guys and all firecly comeptetive by their very nature but they do appreciate what they ride, it probably doesn't change how they ride because I doubt they even think about it when they are on the bike but it does make the owner (which is not always team obsolete) reconsider which races to enter and which to leave the bike in the paddock. There is more to racing than just the racers and there is a whole different side to it when you are racing a bike that Ago or Hailwood rode back in the dya verses racing a cb350 that was sold as a street bike and is easly replaceable.

I think a lot of owners consider Goodwood a "safe" track because 1) it is brand new, 2) it is an all vintage meet (versus a place like suzuka or IOM where rossi and hayden are weaving their way around you), 3) the corner workers are excellent (at least since there was that incident when one was killed a few years ago, they revamped the whole system). I'm sure there are a million other reasons but these are just off the top of my head, really it is a rare thing to see some real and some replica bikes and cars mix it up. As far as I know Goodwood is not part of any point series (at least it hasn;t been in the past) so that takes the pressure off the riders as well which is really what I meant by not a real race, there is a huge difference between racing for the sake of racing and racing for a win because you are 3 points out of 1st in the standings.

GREAT! Now I've got wood and nowhere to go!

Anyone been able to find the dates/ showtimes on speed(I mean the channel)? There's no listing on the website....

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links