2 weeks late: Uber-Epic Weekend photos
Close

This is a discussion on 2 weeks late: Uber-Epic Weekend photos within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I didn't shoot too many photos over the weekend.. too much driving and racing and very little eating or sleeping. Anyway here are the pics, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I didn't shoot too many photos over the weekend.. too much driving and racing and very little eating or sleeping. Anyway here are the pics, check the photos of TT's bike after the spill:

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/album333

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

Cool pics.... I like pop-up tent cities....that's why Gunstock was so much fun....the whole pitlane like one giant pop-up city. People brought Japanese hanging lights, generators going, you could vist just about everyone at the race in one pass down the lane.

I don't think I ever even knew Frank C. was that close to me. I was pay'in tension to the track.
    JohnnyB

dude, it was a great race to watch at the chicane. he was shoving a wheel in there everychance he got. inside, outside, then they both broke at the same lap.

jc

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I usually glance back at the exit of six to see how things are shaping up behind me....they must have been so close I didn't turn around far enough.
    If I had know they were that close I would have actually tried to go fast
    JohnnyB

so, youre saying you were only going fast enough to win.

:-)

Yep..that's typically what I try to do. Always hold something in reserve so when I find Matt C. next to me on the grid on a bike I built I can whoop out that extra 5% and demoralize the competition

I know every place on the track where I can go a little faster, I don't use that "little faster" unless I have to. Exception is probably turn 6 and maybe 2, I usually go through those turns as fast as I am comfortable. But almost everywhere else....if the need arises, I can brake a little later, a little less, and get on the throttle a little sooner and a little longer. Depends on where the "competition" is fast or slow.
    JohnnyB

werent you the one saying you go as fast as possible all the time? wasnt there a discussion about only going fast enough to win. and i thought you were against that in your own little way. i was giving crap. besides, its more demoralizing to be that close to getting by, and not being able to, knowing the guy in front can go faster whenever he feels like. dont you agree?

Nice pics. Anyone heard from TT? I thought he was going under for his "hardware" today.

Yeller'
    ---
    Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Oh yeah, nothing worse that giving it 100% and hanging with someone...then he looks back and see you, cranks it up a notch and puts some distance between you. All of a sudden you learn to put a trophy in the proper perspective compared to your health.

No I'm not big on hanging back to create a "good race". I like distance between me and the guy behind me, doesn't mean I'm necessarily going as fast as I possibly can. To me there's "race pace" and then there is that other place I go when I feel the lead is in jepordy. I ALWAYS go fast enough that I'm learning something, in fact I often learn a lot more going 95% than 100%...at 100 I'm mostly just worried about staying on the bike.

A few of the guys on this board have passed me in my class...and might attest to the fact that I usually take it up to the next level when that happens. Aaron has snuck up on me, Frank and Matt numerous times, almost always it's when I think I have some "slack" and try to do a more comfortable pace. It's a tough class because there are a lot of bikes close to the same speed and quite a few very good riders. If I relax even one lap I'll have someone right behind me. When Zack and I raced it took him about two laps to catch me...then a couple of laps we swapped places out of three, then by the end of fourth lap, or fifth...he had the bike figured out and was gone (he'd never raced a honda 175 before in his life I think). When he and Nichols split me inside and outside in turn eight I gave it up and took my second place like a man If I hadn't been able to keep him in sight for a couple of laps he would have been gone sooner...but I just tried to take his lines and it helped me stay with him until my balls (and skill) came up short.

But no...I don't like sandbagging to make the guy behind you feel good, or make a "good" race. It doesn't make anyone feel good...just insults the guy behind you. And in 200gp if I sandbag for one lap one of those guys will pass me...and I promise you they won't be sandbagging when they get around me.
    Those 200gp riders are a bunch of animals, they'll eat you alive if you give them a chance
    JohnnyB

alot of the same things apply to 350, or fcb. alot of very evenly matched bikes, or riders who are good enough to overcome the bikes shortcommings. which makes for really fun racing. following tex through t10 at summit, i swear, i could see the frame bending around from 10' behind. so i know he was riding the wheels off the thing. but since i had power on him, it wasnt a big deal. then you have guys like donovan, who is literally scary to watch go, or zach, or baker. although baker seems to not fall into the holy crap category because hes smooth. like rabbie. id only sand bag if aaron is behind me. then he yells at me afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links