Latest Project - Page 2
Close

Latest Project

This is a discussion on Latest Project within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; After a quite a bit of searching we've turn up a period photo of the bike - taken at the IOM TT in 1962, the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Latest Project

After a quite a bit of searching we've turn up a period photo of the bike - taken at the IOM TT in 1962, the rider winning the newcomers trophy for 17th place in the Senior TT.

Name:  20180731095440543-page-003.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  290.8 KB
    Lite the blue touch paper and stand well back!

Nice when you can add to the provenance. I had a very early TR2 and always figured it might be noteworthy assuming the first few off the line would have been steered towards riders who would put them to good use. Unfortunately never was able to track anything down from either end. The folks at Yamaha over here didn't keep any of the records, so couldn't find out who it initially went to.

What are you going to do with that down spout come mega? Part of the history or banished to the back shed?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ref provenance.

This project was originally started by Francis Beart in 1958 and built for Mike Hailwood originally with an AJS 7r engine.

Toward the end of 1959 the project was taken over by Clive Waye who decide (probably due to good fortune and discussion with rider Chris Williams) to fit a bigger G50 engine. The engine came from a Matchless G50 campaigned by a rider call Ned Minihan who used the bike to finish 3rd in the Manx GP that year, the G50 was number 3 of the 1st batch of 9 bikes produced. Around the same time the front brake was changed (may have been fitted originally, it's a detail I cannot clarify) which came from a E90 Porcupine C1949. In 1961 the bike was sold to the current owner, pictured on the bike at the 1962 TT for the sum of £500 - a small fortune in 1961.

To put the bike into some sort of context in 1958 the Manx chassis was about as good as it got, the G50 engine was pretty much state of the art 500cc GP engine - today it would be like fitting a Moto GP Honda engine into a Movistar Yamaha Chassis.

The exhaust will be reused.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 08-01-2018 at 04:15 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

IIRC I've seen a pic of young Hailwood with a Manx framed 7r before... will see if I can dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsteve View Post
    Ref provenance.

This project was originally started by Francis Beart in 1958 and built for Mike Hailwood originally with an AJS 7r engine.

Toward the end of 1959 the project was taken over by Clive Waye who decide (probably due to good fortune and discussion with rider Chris Williams) to fit a bigger G50 engine. The engine came from a Matchless G50 campaigned by a rider call Ned Minihan who used the bike to finish 3rd in the Manx GP that year, the G50 was number 3 of the 1st batch of 9 bikes produced. Around the same time the front brake was changed (may have been fitted originally, it's a detail I cannot clarify) which came from a E90 Porcupine C1949. In 1961 the bike was sold to the current owner, pictured on the bike at the 1962 TT for the sum of £500 - a small fortune in 1961.

To put the bike into some sort of context in 1958 the Manx chassis was about as good as it got, the G50 engine was pretty much state of the art 500cc GP engine - today it would be like fitting a Moto GP Honda engine into a Movistar Yamaha Chassis.

The exhaust will be reused.

Holy sheet!!!! a visit from Rosko. How ya been man?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Well the Manx G50 is now in pieces.

The frame is well and truly bent and it has a crack in the top tube. I noticed that the bike had been fitted with quite a large and crude float bowl mounting bracket which I decided to replace, I thought I would replace with something more in keeping. Removing the bracket revealed a crack and the reason why the bracket was made to big and plodded up with braze fill - The bracket was made big span the crack and support the tube. I could just replace the bracket but that not my style so a new tube!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jalsteve; 10-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Whilst the brazing torch is out I decided to replace the upper shock mounts. Also removed various old brackets added in the past which aren't required. I have also remade various brackets that have been poorly done.

Name:  subframe repair .jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  2.84 MB

The frame is currently out for straightening.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 10-20-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Engine stripped. Not too bad, one broken piston ring (Dykes type) and one broken valve spring. Rings are going to be a challenge to find.
    Name:  bust valve spring.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  1.97 MB

As usual Castrol R has gone sludgy in the engine.
    Name:  rotten old castrol R .jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  1.92 MB

The timing chain it was solid with castrol "R" and stood up all on own!!!
    Name:  image3 cam chain.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  2.37 MB

Every once in a while I read posts about old bikes being dragged out of long term storage and sometimes their owners try to start them well "above" is why you shouldn't. Old mineral oils do exactly the same thing when left for years.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 10-21-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Maybe thats how they did the old Indian rope trick?
    This fellow Shop High Performance Piston Rings Online - Deves.com can most likely make your rings if need be. He made me a set for a 500 single of similar vintage for $50 USD. He is located in Las Vegas now (used to be on your side of the pond), but I believe there is a distributor in the UK. Probably best to call him direct though... nice fellow to deal with and he makes very good quality stuff. The oil ring came as a 4 piece, so glad I had the appropriate ring compressor to contain the dainty side rails and get them past the giant chamfer on the bottom of the bore.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Thanks I will save that link if you don't mind.

I think I have found some rings they are currently on route from France. I have also found a complete new piston, badly stored but useable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links