Westwood Historic Racing
Close

Westwood Historic Racing

This is a discussion on Westwood Historic Racing within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Here's some video I shot at Westwood's Last Historic Racing Weekend in July 1990. Look for some some well known local racers including an interview ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cariboo_kid

Thread: Westwood Historic Racing

Westwood Historic Racing

Here's some video I shot at Westwood's Last Historic Racing Weekend in July 1990.

Look for some some well known local racers including an interview with Geoff Duke O.B.E.

Brian

Stephen J likes this.

VERY cool. Thanks.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

Watched this on You Tube recently following a Facebook rant regarding over regulation of motorsport (in all its forms). I had not seen these short films before, some interesting points and similar concerns and issues today in 2017 as those in 1990. But I believe those issues are far more acute as venues are lost putting ever increasing pressure on those few that remain. Authorities seem determined to increase regulation and dumb down old bikes into round pegs bashed into square holes.

In the UK I find it strange that the Civil Aviation Authority can, without consultation, grant a change or extension of airport fight paths, allow more landings and stacks over small villages that start at dawn and stop after midnight every bloody day but the locals don't say a fucking word. But run a "once a year" classic race at any UK circuit with silencing the way it was in the 60's and the locals go nuts!!! From a spectators point of view, high fences, separation from competitors and over silenced bikes makes classic racing quite dull and current modern racing even duller. Today general attendance at motorsport meetings is poor (exception F1 and Moto GP) go back 3 decades or more and even local club meetings were well attended. It seems to me that over regulation is killing motorsport in all its forms by increasing costs, therefore entry fees and a gradual disconnecting of the spectator from a real race atmosphere unless you have VIP pass at 200 bucks. Take a look at period photographs, the circuits are packed and if you start a original classic bike up in a paddock it immediately draws a crowd so it seems its not really the noise that's the issue - That's your evidence right there. Strangely go to places like Imola in Italy and there are houses and apartments inside the circuit which I have to say appeals to me - I think the issue is more about disruption and the noise is a side issue but why on earth would anyone buy a house next to a race circuit then complain about the noise. "Motor racing is noisey" = no shit Sherlock.

Yet F1 run without silencing and so does Historic F1 and nobody says a word.

Anyway some interesting stuff in this series of short films and as this is a very old thread many may not have seen it.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 03-13-2017 at 04:11 AM.
    Lite the blue touch paper and stand well back!

Sponsored Links