hey zach - edit: some good racing info at the end - Page 5
Close

hey zach - edit: some good racing info at the end

This is a discussion on hey zach - edit: some good racing info at the end within the Vintage Motorcycle Racing forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Zack, Cool... I never even considered bite at lever release..of course it's a mechanical system that works in both direction..pressure and release...a person just never ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Zack,
    Cool... I never even considered bite at lever release..of course it's a mechanical system that works in both direction..pressure and release...a person just never thinks about the release half.

Actually my problem with my brake is usually getting it hot enough to work well. There are actually times when I trail it through 1 ever so slightly to keep it warm for turn 3. Not enough to have any effect on handling that I can feel. As I got used to the bike and found myself braking very little in turn 1, I started to find that it had cooled off too much by turn 3. By turn six it's working good, then cools off some before 10, by the exit of 12 its warm again but cools down the straight. The new tight ten helps keep it a bit warmer.

At Frontier Land it worked great after the first lap...and really cranked after about three laps.

In the pits after a hard race I can just touch it and lock the front wheel. I've only locked it once on the track...going into three deep and over the bumps...probably bottomed the forks and lost traction.
    JohnnyB

PS. Steve D. once gave me some good advice....the warm up lap is for warming up....do it about 95%...freakin warm up the bike and yourself properly, don't just cruise around.

quote:
    PS. Steve D. once gave me some good advice....the warm up lap is for warming up....do it about 95%...freakin warm up the bike and yourself properly, don't just cruise around.
    Yeah, that.

And you might want to block off those fancy vents on your drum for NHIS if you're finding the brake cooling off too much. Open them up for Frontierland.

Rob,
    I was thinking the same thing about the vents. Think it would make a difference? Couldn't hurt to try I guess....it's unlikey I'm going to overheat the brake at the main track even with no vents at all. It's a lot of brake for such a small bike....but it has it's advantages at places like Frontier or the Nelson circuit at Shannonville.
    I can do stoppies with it in the pits no problem.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

johnnyB - covering those vents will make a huge difference. we do that everytime it rains, and it seems to help. i'd try covering them up maybe 2/3 of the way at first, see what happens. what's the brake you have? quad-leading shoe 210 or something?
    and do you really use the brakes that much in the regular 10? obviously the tight 10 you need some brakes, but i don't think i brake at all for the regular 10. anyone else?
    i definitely agree with steveD on that one. you gotta do the warm up lap serious. i always leave late, so i can go fast on the warm up lap. no tire warmers means you've got less than a lap to get them warm. i didn't realize they were illegal, i was gonna use my 125 ones on pete's bike.

Z

n/a
    Fast warm up laps work for me !!! What the heck. You're gonna be racin' in a few, so why not go like you're racing. Besides it builds up heat in the rubber and puts you in race mode.....

Champ

hey zach, something else i read in rrw about the rossi m1. did you notice the article said they raised the bike to help get it to fall into the corners better?? move the center of gravity up a bit. i thought what a great idea to help tune a bike to better handling for different tracks. some tracks might need the bike to flop a little better, some might not, so having it tucked down might be better. anyway, just wondering if you caught that little bit. i thought it was cool. and the article was pretty neat too.

jc

Zack,
    Nothing so exotic...my brake is a T500...200mm DLS..and wide, 10mm wider than the popular CB450 brake, and 5mm wider than the XS650.

All done up by Vintage Brake. The 450 and 650 brakes are both popular on CB350 race bikes, the T500 has more balls than either one, only weighs 8.5 lbs...but rumor is they like to crack. My bike weighs about 150 lbs less than a 350...so it's a lot of brake on my bike.

I brake pretty freakin hard at the end of turn 10....is that eleven? You know...the little left hander just past the puddle before the tiny straight shot to the chicane.... Pretty much don't brake at all for the beginning of ten, then hard on the brake for a second, lean it left, drag the peg on the rumble strip and shoot for the chicane.
    JohnnyB

yea, that would be 11. i don't think of 10 and 11 being connected really. but yes, braking for that left definitely. i bet you brake too much though, 11 is a much faster corner than most people give it credit for. i used to sit and watch the fastest practice session at LRRS and watch guys come out of 10 and through 11. one thing i noticed was how late they were braking. after a while i realized that the reason they could brake so late was that they were rolling through 11 much faster that i was (proportionally). it's a good idea to try to tip in and get on the gas before the apex just like any other corner, but i usually get lazy and roll through. works the front a little too hard, but i have a hard time (on the 125) getting myself to gas it up between 11 and the chicane. when it's dry the grip in 11 is really good. does anyone NOT clip the left and right curbs going into 11? i'm convinced that's the fastest way, but it never feels quite right.

Z

My problem is that I run too wide out of 10, making 11 a little more difficult. If you can stick a little more to the right out of 10, 11 becomes more of a straight shot. And faster.

I probably brake too much cause my entry to 11 is always screwed up.
    There is a lot of ground to be gained through 10 on a lot of people so I spend time going under and over people. And lots of times I get over zealous through ten, waiting for the last minute to brake, end up braking too much, ending up too close to the curb on the left. I almost ALWAYS feel like I'm trying to climb over the bike in a weird way to keep off the curb on the left. Only this year did I start leaving some more room there.....I remember following Ruffo or someone and how they went through the chicane at a much straighter angle than I was previously...that allowed me to stay a bit more towards the middle in 11.

Typically I can take a pretty straight shot through the chicane cause I can tip it way over out of 12.... I don't have to worry much about keeping it upright to get on the throttle like the bigger bikes....so I can crank it right over out of 12, early on the gas and shoot under people. Sometimes it's just enough to keep a bike length on them over the finish. More often it just annoys people cause it screws up their drive out of 12 as I drift over towards the wall in front of them and they have to dip inside down the straight to pass me...which they usually do. Screw em...they are usually on a 250 so let them work for it a little .
    JohnnyB

PS. Yeah Rob...what you said.... I'm usually wide in 10 cause I'm thinking I'm Rossi...end up having to square off 11 too much.
    Lots to be made or lost there....if you have a clean shot at it you can really make up some ground...if you have a few bikes in the way it can really slow you down.

Edited by - jbranson on Feb 10 2005 12:09:37 AM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links