WTB honda cb200 front break, what ever's compatible or advice for alternative fix?
Close

WTB honda cb200 front break, what ever's compatible or advice for alternative fix?

This is a discussion on WTB honda cb200 front break, what ever's compatible or advice for alternative fix? within the Wanted forums, part of the Classifieds category; This is my first build and first time working on a bike, I bought a running 76 cb200t and plan on making it all cafe, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is my first build and first time working on a bike, I bought a running 76 cb200t and plan on making it all cafe, only thing stopping me is the front break. Haven't had a chance to check out the junk yards yet being Memorial Day so I figured I'd ask while I wait.

The metal on the top most piece of the break is busted, and pulling the cable yields no pressure on the front wheel, so I'm pretty sure this break is junk. I've heard that getting a replacement front break is very hard, so in the event that I don't find one, does anyone have some alternative fixes I can try? Which would be harder, getting a new fork assembly or finding a way to machine shop a fitting break mount?

Thanks in advance

Don't you mean that the only thing NOT stopping you is a front brake?

Picts would be helpful.

Is it on this page?
    1976 Honda CB200T BRAKE CALIPER Parts, 1976 Honda CB200T BRAKE CALIPER OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Cool! ---RIP

Here's a pic of the broken piece I'm talking about. If my options include machining a mount for a new break, Im thinking that maybe welding this piece would be easier, but Im going to look into this much more before I do anything, like have a mechanic look at it and give it a diagnosis at least, if not fix it. I want to do it myself to save money and get experience.
    This is the top most piece of the break mount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's hard to see exactly what that is. It looks like it could be number 1 in the earlier link. If so, it may be easier to look at this,
    75 Honda CB200 CB 200 Front Brake Caliper Mount | eBay

Cool! ---RIP

It was the number 1 on that chart, but it doesn't look the same as the part you linked from ebay, Im guessing it still fits though.

I don't think that would make the brake not work though, right? I will have to buy one if I want to fix the one I have, but I don't think it will solve the problem. Im pretty sure I'll end up taking it to a mechanic to at least diagnose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    It's hard to see exactly what that is. It looks like it could be number 1 in the earlier link. If so, it may be easier to look at this,
    75 Honda CB200 CB 200 Front Brake Caliper Mount | eBay

Wow - $50 and $23 to ship? No wonder people are looking for alternatives to those crappy cable calipers (apart from the obvious reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    It was the number 1 on that chart, but it doesn't look the same as the part you linked from ebay, Im guessing it still fits though.

I don't think that would make the brake not work though, right? I will have to buy one if I want to fix the one I have, but I don't think it will solve the problem. Im pretty sure I'll end up taking it to a mechanic to at least diagnose it.

It would be a good experience (if you are serious about learning about bikes) to try and diagnose it yourself. Try some things. Get it working.if you run to the mechanic everytime a small part breaks on a vintage bike you will never be riding. If that isn't your cup of tea then buy a modern bike. Just trying to save you a ton of money down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    It would be a good experience (if you are serious about learning about bikes) to try and diagnose it yourself. Try some things. Get it working.if you run to the mechanic everytime a small part breaks on a vintage bike you will never be riding. If that isn't your cup of tea then buy a modern bike. Just trying to save you a ton of money down the road.
    This is what I want to do. Im too poor for a mechanic anyways. I've already taken the side off the caliper case and poked around, not knowing anything about it. (It couldn't get much worse anyways; it is broken.) My next step is to start taking it apart entirely.

Mechanics LOVE it when you tease them with work(=income) and then you don't give the work to them. Be sure that you find a mechanic that can work on your bike (many if not most know as much as you do about your bike). And start the relationship by finding something to buy from them.

Cool! ---RIP

What is there to diagnose? There is a broken part and it needs to be replaced, period. A suitable part from ebay was already posted, as was the parts diagram from Honda. Either find a used part, e-bay, junk yard, etc or order a new one from Honda. While you are at it, take the whole front brake ( it is not break!!!!!) apart, clean everything and figure out how it works. A cable operated caliper is one of the easiest mechanical devices ever made. If you can't figure out how it works, then throw away your hammer, adjustable wrench and pliers, because you should not be working on anything, much less the brakes on an old motorcycle. If you really need help, then post some decent pictures of what you have, once you get it apart.

Seriously, if this is too much for you, sell the CB200T and buy a brand new bike from a dealer. You will be happier, a better rider and a nice support to the motorcycle industry.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links