Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
well, they should be ok you'd expect. i'd not seen that pattern before, but i don't deal with dunlops

one thing with the road 5 is that the grooves don't go to the edge, and talking about that with the rep i realised that you probably don't need grooves at the edge because who's going to the edge in the wet? if you are, you're probably not relying on the grooves.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I don't think you put enough emphasis on the boneline, but it looks terrific. It wouldn't have had the same impact if you had done the frame in the stock colour. It needed to be black, suits the bike better, nicer contrast with your pretty pipe. Braided lines has to be one of the cheapest and easiest ways to improve the appearance of a bike. They just seem to clean up the clutter.

I'd need to check with the building naming committee but I believe Nice Shit Shed is still available.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The last time the carbs were removed and cleaned I hooked them up to remote fuel supply to check the fuel height and for leaks.
Everything seemed spot on, and after refitting the bike ran very nicely. Until yesterday, as soon as i walked into the shed there was a strong smell of petrol.
It appears the float valve on the front carb had stuck and allowed fuel to leak down one side of the freshly painted engine....Bugger.
So lesson learned I guess, don't try to scrimp with rebuild kits on 25 year old carbs.
I friggin hate bikes sometimes.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Not much consolation but at least you can identify the issue and cause rather than having to chase a problem down. Go back to page one, then take a look at it now...feel better?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not much consolation but at least you can identify the issue and cause rather than having to chase a problem down. Go back to page one, then take a look at it now...feel better?
Until earlier today I'd have probably replied...No not really.
Within 10 minutes of getting home from work tonight I received a phone call saying my daughter had been involved in a serious car crash.
Turns out she was taken out by a driver of a large van, who has been arrested for drug driving.
Certainly brings home how quickly the really important things in life can go tits up.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
OMG Steveo that's terrible news, best thoughts and wishes for her speedy recovery.
"drug" driving or drunk driving? Here they just call it impaired but either way that charge against the guy who hits you can be a double edge sword for insurance coverage, watch out for that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Brad, Trials, Woodsman...Thanks for the kind wishes chaps.
When we finally got her home late Friday night she had a lot of cuts and bruises and was badly shaken up.
Yesterday she was still in a lot of pain so we took her to A&E to have a CT scan. All injuries seem to be muscular so should heal on their own.
One of the witnesses took these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Bruised, battered and having the crap scared out of you isn't great but it's about as good as it gets in a crash between a car and a delivery truck. As Trials said thank goodness he wasn't carrying a load. Really glad to hear that time not Doctors will get her up and going again. You can tell her we feel for her, bruised and battered from the road is something most old bikers can relate too. Hope she is out and about soon.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Relatively good news stevo. Glad she will be ok. At least she has her youth to help work though the healing process. I imagine you are wishing it was the good old days when you could take that driver, put him in that caged trailer and park it in the town square.... or maybe in the Colne.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Relatively good news stevo. Glad she will be ok. At least she has her youth to help work though the healing process. I imagine you are wishing it was the good old days when you could take that driver, put him in that caged trailer and park it in the town square.... or maybe in the Colne.
Hopefully he'll get to share a cell with a lonely sheep farmer.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hopefully he'll get to share a cell with a lonely sheep farmer.
Reminds me of an interview with Conrad Black during his incarceration. "what's the hardest thing about being in prison?" answer: "sleeping alone". My nearly 100 yr old mother who has lost her filter says.... he should consider himself lucky that he is sleeping alone!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Replaced the float valve and seat, when started only running on one cylinder...Jeez.
No fuel getting through to the front carb, so carbs off again. The new float valve seemed to be sticking, no idea why tho.
Running well enough now, MOT passed, and out for a test ride this morning

Attachments

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sorry I can't look at it, all the green grass and leaves is depressing.

How's your daughter feeling, she up and at it again?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts