Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of us extreme rookies are going up for the track/test day/afternoon...anyone else planning on it ?..maybe a fast guy or two with pointers ?

dch.

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
a couple of us extreme rookies are going up for the track/test day/afternoon...anyone else planning on it ?..maybe a fast guy or two with pointers ?
dch.
I'll be at Carl's school on the 3rd.

FC

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doing thurs...it comes down to money, if I had the funds I'd do Carl's school, stay over do thurs track day, then monday...

d.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep; Dale and I will be there on the 4th for the PM testing session. I too would love to attend Carl's school on the 3rd but i had to sink $$ into Jack's 350.

Stand back everyone; the ROOKIES are practicing!
Beth

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks Scott. 1-5 is even better for me. Pretty sure I'll be there.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Northwest wind between 5 and 7 mph

Jeff

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
How did the track day go? Who was there? I had to photograph 400 little darlings that day. Oh well, make hay while the sun shines they say....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hot, sunny, lots of modern bikes of course. Vintage guys, and girls, included SBaker, SVile,Dale,Beth, BSmith, and myself. We were all grouped in the Novice group amd we were getting blasted down the straight but it really wasn't an issue for most of us. It was evident that the track does not want freshly licensed vintage riders at these dates and made an unfavorable decision for some. I'll let other chime in here if they choose to do so.
I managed to do some sorting that hopefully will allow me to ride well monday with my CB350and at a later date for the BMW.

Jeff

·
Registered
227 Posts
NHIS track days, or testing days as they call them, are NOT for novice Vintage riders. Mostly modern bikes are there. They created two groups; Novice, and everyone else. I can guarantee that Dale and I were the only true novices there (Dale did not even go out on the track) That day was my first back on the track after falling on Labor day in my first race, and I was being cautious. I was black flagged after 3 laps; the worker telling me I was "in the wrong class" as I was much slower than the others. They were rightfully concerned about safety.

The person who set up the groups did not tell me I could not ride; but I did recieve the safety lecture. I decided not to ride; that it was inappropriate for my level (one day with the USCRA new rider school,never a previous practice day, one aborted race and a borrowed bike) with the type of bikes and riders that were there. I asked for my money back and HE REFUSED. We had to complain to the track manager, who did see to it that Dale received a full refund but I did not as they claimed that "the insurance went in" because I was on the track. What is this insurance, I would like to know, when we all sign a waiver of liability? Why does someone who decides to withdraw after only a few laps, in the best interests of everyone's safety, have to pay anything I'm asking?

I felt that keeping 40% of my money for 3 laps was grossly unfair on the part of NHIS and so did others who heard about it. Furthermore, the only reason I chose to attend a testing session to ride was that it was suggested by a USCRA member as available practice time. NOT if you lag way behind the modern bikes!

This is no blow to my ego; I know I am a beginner racer. Call me Black Flag Braun if you like. But racing is expensive enough and it is hard enough to find ways to practice without getting nickel and dimed by NHIS; our ONLY available local track at this point.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Beth,

That realy stinks. I won't plan on attending one of those test days.

I took Carls school and while there were many fast new bikes there, I didn't feel unwanted, and got plenty of personal instruction from Frank C.

Hopefully there will be a uscra race school again this spring!

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts