Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on CL last weekend and have been chatting with the owner for the past week about it. It's been sitting in storage for the past 15 years and is just missing the carbs and headlight and throttle control. Alot of the stuff it's missing or broken I'm taking off anyways so it's no biggie. It's a 81 Yamaha XS400 Special II with only 9000 on it's ticker and the tank is spotless inside. I wanted it mostly cause of the wheels and it's an actual tube frame instead of my CM400T. Overall it's something I'll be putzing around with it and planning on having this done for the next rocker box or mod vs rockers show next year.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 400 Yamahas twins are great bikes. They will run forever if you take care of them.
There are still a lot of the around for that reason. There like the old Honda twins in that they are hard to kill. Unless you just run them out of oil on purpose they will just keep going.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is stuck so it's got the cylinders filled with PB as it's the only lub/penatrating liquid I had around at the moment. It's been sitting since Sunday so I may go give it a whirl and see if I can break it loose. My stepfather told me to pop the clutch on it and it should break it free. Wish me luck! On a side note, my seat from Cosmo finally came. Damn bastard took a month and a half to get it to me. Cool thing is that I got it for free as I filed a dispute and won because he never replied back through paypal. He also lost his ebay account as his contact info was false and he spelled his name differently. Shady...shady.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wooohooo! It broke it free! Run little twin, run!!! That is once you get some carbs. lol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'll name this project back burner cause she kept getting the cold shoulder from the rest of my bikes. I was picking up tinkering with it ever so often. Then came fall and I was just tired of looking at the CM400T that ran like a charm but was just ugly. So put one and two together and you get a XS400 rolling frame with a CM400T engine. After alot of swearing and whatnot it eventually fit. It's just a matter of wiring it up and mounting up the rearsets. Here is how she looks now.

Seat is a Manx style seat I picked up from some place in Australia on ebay for cheap. Thank god the US dollar is worth more then aussie dollar!
Champ clipons and a half finished smoothed down upper triple. Tank was pounded for the clipons not to hit the tank. Then the tank will be painted an aluminum color and the seat upholstered in black vinly.

Pipes will be some two reverse megaphones I got with my Bridgestone project and ditch the Mac single megaphone setup.
The poor CM400T now

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just like stuff you don't see everyday or sometimes ever. lol. Plus I picked up my last two bikes for only a hundred apiece so they both needed new engines anyways.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What other engine? Only engine that I have that doesn't have a home is the one from the Bridgestone but that needs a new jug and two pistons. Not to mention that would be a severely fucked up bike and even I wouldn't try that. lol. Hahaha, a twin two stroke cm400. lol. Where's the goggley eyed smiley when you need it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think he means your XS400 lump

1 - 17 of 17 Posts