Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here selling 175 size (wm1/18/36) alloy rims? Champ? I did some searching around but came up with bupkis. Could be my bad search-fu, but I could've sworn someone here had alloy wm1s in stock.

Michael

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome - my "semi-sponsored development rider" needs a second set of wheels.

So here's a semi-related brake question (semi-related as we'll have to decide what brake to use for the second set of wheels) - I've always run a 160 brake with relined shoes, but quite a few of the guys have gone to 350 backing plates and shoes since you can just buy good brake pads for the 350 and the 350 plate fits right in the 160 drum. And I've got both a complete 350 brake and a complete 160 brake to choose from.

You guys all say the 350 brake sucks compared to the (same size) 160 brake - any ideas what causes the 350 brake to be not as good? I see that the shoe pivots for the 160 are wider (and thus have more travel and less leverage over the pads for the same pivot movement) than the 350 ones, and the 350 drums have a bit less finning between the spokes. Other than that they seem pretty much the same.

Michael

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably true given the weight of the 160 - certainly for the non-demon brakers. In my case I want all the brake I can get for the weight.

But - I guess my real question is what makes it (the 350 brake) underpowered compared to a 160 brake? Especially given that they're the same size and have very similar construction.

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Michael,
Morse at Vintage brake outlines some of the reasons. I'd put it this way...I think a 160/350 hibred would be fine for a 160. I think a 160 brake with race compound would be ok for a FCB 350. A 160/350 hibred with race compound would probably be better than a 160 brake...on a 160.

The pivots, tolerances, wrap around brake shoes, and general rigidity seems considerably better on the 160 than the 350 (to me anyway). If you really want plenty of brake, use a 305/450, they'll stand a 160 on the front wheel. Even with Vesrah shoes. Also the leverage ratios on the 160 seem better (longer brake arm I think).
JohnnyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts