Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using a 16" wheel on the front of my next build (CB750 - I already have the wheels mounted to my hubs with tires). I know it was the thing back in the early 80's and I've read some threads about the subject in other web sites. The smaller wheel is suppose to give you quicker steering and such. I'm just wondering what you folks have to say about it???

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the rolling diameter of a 16 inch balloon tire is about the same as an 18

16's can range from about 24 inches to 26.5 inches

about the tallest 18 you can find would be 27" and that would be a 140/80.... I think so anyhow

the drop center HD rim and the heavier tire doesn't do anything to improve suspension or steering dynamics

you'll gain about 5 pounds of unsprung weight

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woops - To add to my start note, its the rim size I'm talking about not the tire size. The rim I have is 18 X 2.50. The standard cb750 front rim is 19. Looking at the rim again it is a 18 not 16.

Sorry my mistake - still interested in comments tho...

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i was going to ask why you were going to fuck the handling up like that. besides, isnt like a 21" front all the rage now? 18 will be way better. more tire options etc. the fender will be another 1/2" above the wheel, but thats not a big deal.

18 is the way to go.

my opinion

jc

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have a shouldered alloy 18 laced up to a 4LS Buffalo hub

damn it is heavy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts