Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here....great site. Anyway, in the process of making a CR750 replica (loosely based)

I'm about to pick up some 19" front and rear aluminum shouldered rims from Buchanon's. I'm trying to give the illusion of the same tire/wheel size similar to the CR750's but don't want to drop down to 18's" (my long legs could use a bit more room)

I'm have a hard time sourcing 19" rear tires... Looking for something in the 4 - 4.25" or 100-120mm range. So far all I've been able to locate is an Avon in a 4.10 x 19" http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_61_78
It might actually look ok....it has a vintage looking tread to it.

Anybody else know of any sources for something a bit sportier ?

Here's the "before" shot - look better in pics than in real life, but I've got it running like a champ now. It's a '72 CB750K

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I run metzler lazertechs on my cb750s. I like them a lot for agressive handling and general NY city work. I believe I have a 120 or 130 on the back of my 75K.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
put 18's on it

it's the smart thing to do for so many reason

decent tire selection being the least of them

the norton commando purist when convenient crowd dutifully suffers 19 inch rear wheels

and all the tires available for them suck dog feces

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh BTW, I am 6'5" riding a stock looking K5 and I don't have any leg room problem. The only time the 18" vs the 19" will come into play is when you put your foot down at a stoplight, and really how often is that going to happen....it isn't like you are going to spend the money on a CR750 body kit to flog the bike.

if you really want the height, then put a 1" longer shock on it in the rear.

it is unlikely you are going to find a 19" rear tire - they are pretty uncommon. Might tru coker but they are NOT performance tires.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I would change the positioning of the rear-sets, use 1 inch longer shocks in the back, and add an inch of padding to the seat long before I would severely limit my tire choices. In fact, if you're going the route of having Buchannan's lace up fresh rims for you, get 17" rims so you can take advantage of all of the modern sticky rubber compounds out there. Build leg room in other ways than adding an inch to the rear rim. Plus there's a good chance your 19" rear tire would rub against some part of the swing-arm or frame because of the larger diameter....

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As ghey as it sounds...I'm actually wanting the bigger hoop for aesthetic reasons. I've got another bike for going fast & sticking to the pavement... That's not to say that this won't get pushed, I just want the bigger hoop so I don't look like such a scarecrow on it. Flame away.;) But in the meantime, somebody find me a 19" rear tire. Thanks

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
then check with the commando crowd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts