Line art Illustration
Text Line art Font Illustration

Reactions: 4Nines

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh man you rock! Thanks so much!

I ended up ordering the full BSA DVD from Brit Bike a couple of days ago. Hopefully that will help answer all the questions I have :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, this thread looks like as good a place as any, I am new to owning a classic. I have a BSA M33 (I believe!?) 1954 and it runs very well and the gears select, however, the clutch doesn't have sufficient pull to all gear select smoothly and when coming to a stop, wants to run on and stalls. Therefore I'm guessing that I will need to replace clutch plates? First hurdle is knowing what to look for, I have read somewhere that the clutch on these was never great and often upgraded to a triumph clutch. I would be very grateful for any advice if anyone is able to guide me? Thanks

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Hi, this thread looks like as good a place as any, I am new to owning a classic. I have a BSA M33 (I believe!?) 1954 and it runs very well and the gears select, however, the clutch doesn't have sufficient pull to all gear select smoothly and when coming to a stop, wants to run on and stalls. Therefore I'm guessing that I will need to replace clutch plates? First hurdle is knowing what to look for, I have read somewhere that the clutch on these was never great and often upgraded to a triumph clutch. I would be very grateful for any advice if anyone is able to guide me? Thanks
Sweet bike, don't ever sell it or you will regret it :| unless you want to sell it to me.

Clutch drag was never a problem on mine other than you need a strong grip to pull in the lever, take it apart and clean it all up, maybe you have a problem with one of the cork plates or rust on the steels. The clutch and primary drive has it's own oil reserve so you can use an oil that works specifically well for just that, you aren't limited to using multi-grade engine oil. If there is Any water in the oil now, that would account for the clutch drag and promote rust on the steel parts and plates, water also makes the rubberized cork plate material swell, often makes the clutch produce some pretty nasty noises. Water mixed in the oil will impart a milky opaque colour to it, kinda like coffee with milk or cream in it.

Doubt you need to replace anything, when a clutch wears out it no longer holds, your problem as you described it is that your clutch fails to slip.

btw: inspect the cable real good :/ the cable should have as much travel at both ends, make sure you aren't losing cable travel to compression within the cables outer shield.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
my aunt is buliding it from the ground up and so she asked me to ask and make sure
Your aunt is building a 1950 BSA B33 from the ground up ?
... that would be truly impressive, if not for the fact you asked if it needs a clutch or if it can be automatic, that part is just weird. Are we still talking about motorcycles :unsure:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.