Cafe Racer Forum banner

1965 ym1

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thestrauser 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1965 ym1 305. The bike has 4000 original miles, but missing the fuel petcock. After researching I found it is just about impossible to find one. I have research petcocks and it looks like a 1965 y26 might work, just from the pictures. Does anyone have information on this? I am also looking for a repair or shop manual on this bike if anyone can help me out….Thanks

#2 ·
2 questions:

1) do you have to have a stock original petcock? or could you use an aftermarket one like one made by pingle and feel ok about it?

2) Is the unit rebuild-able? Most of the time when it comes to petcocks if the aluminum hasn't been eroded then all that is required is a drilling of the rivets, replacing the usually standard size rubber gaskets, and then drilling and tapping the rivet holes to accept screws.

I don't know that any repair shop can help you with a bike this old and obscure, most "repair shops" I know (in the USA) won't even touch an 80's honda. Also it helps if you tell us your location, anything I suggest in Columbus, Ohio isn't going to help you in California or England.

#4 · (Edited)
Manuals for these bikes are hard to come by for some reason but I do have a couple of PDF manuals. I might also be able to help you with a petcock, I have a YDS3 sitting here that has already been stripped of a few parts but I thnk the petcock is still on the tank. Or get this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Yamaha...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35da3c9a4d&vxp=mtr

Quite a few of the parts from a YDS3 are going to work on your YM1. The YDS3 was a 250 and the YM1 was bumped up to 305.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.