Cafe Racer Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I've been neglecting updates on this thing, so here they are. (If it makes you feel any better, I haven't updated my own website in over a year now)

Houston, we have a problem. I knew something was wrong when I tried to torque the head bolts and the engine got hard to turn over.

The clip isn't in it's correct position in that photo - it's supposed to be in the slot above the coupler. But, the slot for the clip doesn't clear the coupler. I think the new cylinder base gasket is thinner than the original, so the cylinder/head are a touch shorter than they should be. With the clips in place, when the head gets torqued the cam drive gets pushed out of shape and the gears don't mesh correctly anymore.

The solution is to either get a thicker base gasket or to trim down the coupler. Yes, I should be checking the squish and setting the cylinder height from that but dang, I figured it'd all go back together nice and easy if i didn't mod anything! I may as well have shaved a bit off the cylinder to bump compression if I'm going to have to be trimming parts anyway! (High compression pistons for this engine are "no longer available")

After a date with a lathe and some carbide tipped cutting tools the tower shaft coupler is now about .6mm shorter. I wasn't sure how much clearance there needed to be between the collar and the clips, IIRC it's around .2-.3mm now (I didn't write the numbers down). In any case the head is torqued and everything works like a champ. Turns over easily and the gears mesh like they should.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I didn't take any pics between then and now, but here's how it sits at the moment.

The engine is far enough along that I put it back in the frame. The various covers are just sitting in place for the pics.

Along the way I did find one set back... This is the tabbed tach drive hanging off the head, showing the end of the cam. So, what's wrong with this picture?

No? Here's a hint. In theory the tab on the tach drive fits into a slot in the cam. Here's the cam.

No slot. D'oh! How could I screw around with this thing for this long and not notice that until now???

Ok, so the tach is getting shelved until further notice. I have an extra top triple and I'm going to look into modding that to mount a modern electronic speedo/tach like I mentioned earlier. Or I'll just go with an old school speedo. Depending on what happens I may get another cam and mod it to work but for now it's press on regardless.

Future updates now include 1) rebuilding the seat in a different shape. 2) Modding a cam to work with the tach. 3) Building rearsets.

Or not. I'll see how things go. Putting a new exhaust has been on the list for my 750 for about five years now. It runs, I'd rather just ride it and spend that time/money on other projects. Same thing might happen here?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pretty WICKED man! not only have you got the rare skill of making the bike look better than when it came from the factory, youre a pretty good mechanic too! keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Thanks for the comments. I've decided to try to get this thing done in time for the vintage festival at Barber this October. So... I'm concentrating more on building it and less on documenting things.

Something I've noticed that sort of bugs me... this is going to say "Ducati" on it in about ten places. If I had thought about that I would have gone with a different tag on the seat and decals on the sidecovers. It's not a major deal but it is something I've made smart ass comments about on cars after getting behind a Porsche and counting four places it said "Porsche" on the back... I mean, yeah dude, we get it.

Karma's a bitch I guess!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I stole a couple posts from another site for this update, so if something doesn't make sense it's probably my hack editing.

Exciting picture this time. Since I bailed on the rearsets for now, I have to chrome a non-modified kicks start lever. Also a shift lever and couple other things. Geez I hope they don't lose anything... I'm always afraid things are going to get lost when I send them out for any type of work.

In other news, I discovered the alternator nut on my 350 was in fine shape so I stole it for the 160. I also discovered that the mere suggestion of Acetone removed the white lettering on the wire I used to rewire it with. So that was nice. Oh, and putting the end of a stiff 5mm fuel line in boiling water for a couple seconds will soften it up enough to slip right on to a 6mm fitting. All in all it was a pretty good day for the 160, lots of little accomplishments.

And then I discovered the two dents on the end of the new muffler, conveniently placed in the worst possible spots. Back of the muffler where no one would see? Nope. Bottom? Nope. They are on the upper part of the front side, right where you'll be looking if you're standing by the bike. Great.

I can rotate the cone to hide them, but then the drain is in the wrong spot. So I can either show the damage or hide the damage but make it look like I have no clue how the muffler is supposed to go together. I think I'll go with visible dents... they're not THAT bad...

Doesn't look like much progress but a lot of the small details are getting worked out. I've resigned myself to the fact the bike won't be DONE in time for Barber, but it will be in more of a "final mock up" condition meaning it will run but there will still be some issues to address, mainly cosmetic.

Shiny parts. Thank you St Louis Plating!

Getting there

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I stole a couple posts from another site for this update, so if something doesn't make sense it's probably my hack editing.

Exciting picture this time. Since I bailed on the rearsets for now, I have to chrome a non-modified kicks start lever. Also a shift lever and couple other things. Geez I hope they don't lose anything... I'm always afraid things are going to get lost when I send them out for any type of work.

In other news, I discovered the alternator nut on my 350 was in fine shape so I stole it for the 160. I also discovered that the mere suggestion of Acetone removed the white lettering on the wire I used to rewire it with. So that was nice. Oh, and putting the end of a stiff 5mm fuel line in boiling water for a couple seconds will soften it up enough to slip right on to a 6mm fitting. All in all it was a pretty good day for the 160, lots of little accomplishments.

And then I discovered the two dents on the end of the new muffler, conveniently placed in the worst possible spots. Back of the muffler where no one would see? Nope. Bottom? Nope. They are on the upper part of the front side, right where you'll be looking if you're standing by the bike. Great.

I can rotate the cone to hide them, but then the drain is in the wrong spot. So I can either show the damage or hide the damage but make it look like I have no clue how the muffler is supposed to go together. I think I'll go with visible dents... they're not THAT bad...

Doesn't look like much progress but a lot of the small details are getting worked out. I've resigned myself to the fact the bike won't be DONE in time for Barber, but it will be in more of a "final mock up" condition meaning it will run but there will still be some issues to address, mainly cosmetic.

Shiny parts. Thank you St Louis Plating!

Getting there

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Wiring. Takes me forvever...

The only way to stop the engine is to pull the key out, so I added a kill switch.

The handlebars aren't round where I have the switch though, so if it gets spun it gets loose. Not a huge issue as it shouldn't get spun in normal use, but I might remove it and use a switch in the side of the headlight instead. It's on the right in this picture. This headlight isn't from this bike so the switch isn't used otherwise

The throttle and choke cables took a bunch longer than they should have too. It seems to be a theme with this bike.

Tidying things up but still not done with the wiring. I still need to build a base for the diode, fuse, and terminal strip I forgot to buy...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Aside for connectors on the battery cables and the rear brake switch, the wiring is done. Here's a picture. I can not believe it took me so freakin long to get to this point. This shows everything under the seat, including the battery.

I just couldn't bring myself to mount the battery there though. I know the battery is sealed, and can be installed on it's side, but I just didn't trust it. So I bought a fake battery and will put the real battery inside that. If the charging system blows up the battery or the vibration cracks it or I just get a bad battery, whatever, now it will puddle inside a rubber box rather than run down the painted fender and frame. Here it is with the battery box in place (underneath where it used to be)

The fun part is, the rest of the (planned) work can all be done with the tank and seat in place. Pardon the poor pics but it was raining outside (though it's sunny now!) and I couldn't get to the door anyway. (Messy shop!)

Aside from some obviously missing parts, that's what it's going to look like.

Now to make it run...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You still in Dexter, Des? Couple good pubs in that town... well, one, anyway.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Yeah, still here. There's a place that opened up maybe a year ago that we go to most often... I'm terrible with names though. Red Brick? Red Door? Red House? Something red. In fact if my wife wasn't already making dinner I'd suggest we go there tonight! Damn, now I'm hungry... :D

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DesmoDog

Yeah, still here. There's a place that opened up maybe a year ago that we go to most often... I'm terrible with names though. Red Brick? Red Door? Red House? Something red. In fact if my wife wasn't already making dinner I'd suggest we go there tonight! Damn, now I'm hungry... :D
Yeah... I could use a pint - babysitting Gurl's girls tonight! Catboy & I are both local (see his " blind faith" thread) We ought ot hook up eventually.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Maybe if you'd lay off the beer and rock music for awhile, things might go a little faster, sonny
Super nice build. Love this little bike. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Maybe if you'd lay off the beer and rock music for awhile, things might go a little faster, sonny
Super nice build. Love this little bike. Nice job.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts