Cafe Racer Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
My sort of annual 160 ride report. I posted this on another forum and then figured what the heck I'll put it up here too.

I registered to do the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride on this in Detroit, so thought it might be a good idea to do a shakedown run first. That run became a trip to a "Ton-Up' bike/music show in Ypsilati, which is about 21 miles from my house. It was relatively cold and raining on and off, but I decided to go anyway.

I got there with no real drama to speak of, riding it wide open a large percentage of the time. No one seemed to notice… Once there I parked the bike along the street, pulled the old iphone I was using as a speedo off the triple, and walked over to the show area. One of the first bikes I saw was owned by a guy I know, and he convinced me to register mine and park it next to his bikes. So I walked back and got it.

Fun fact to know. If you shut off the gas on your 160 when you park it at one end of the blocked off street, then start it up and ride to the other end of the street, the engine will run just long enough that you can coast up to the registration table. Perfect. Yes, I meant to do that.

The weather was keeping a lot of people away. I hadn't planned on staying around very long, but one thing led to another and wouldn't ya know…

Ok, so… truth be told, the only other Italian bike being judged that I saw was a 1098 with digital camo that really didn't fit the "feel" of the show…

Here's a pretty bad shot of all the class winners. By this point I really just wanted to head out but had to wait through all the door prizes and official picture taking etc…

You can barely see the orange CX500 that took "most modified" and "People's Choice". The gas tank was mounted backwards, I'm assuming to clear the bars? Also had a monoshock conversion with an R1 shock and a bunch of other stuff done to it. As much as I didn't like the bike, the work looked like it was nicely done, but then the huge front tire...

The ride home wasn't all that pleasant. I was cold, my left wrist was NOT happy with the clutch lever ergos, and I didn't trust the bike to idle so there was a lot of blipping the throttle at lights, and I wanted to stay in gear so the clutch was pulled in, but with the damp cool weather my shield was fogging, and basically it would have been nice to have three hands. Oh, and only the rear brake has a light switch on it, so I was trying to use the rear brake to slow down while downshifting. Trivial perhaps, except the bike has the brake lever on the left and a reverse patterned shift on the right. A heel/toe shifter at that. I ride it once a year, I wouldn't say the process came naturally to me.

There was one intersection I was mostly worried about. I have to make a sharp left downhill off a right hand curve that is basically the start of an entrance ramp for a freeway. To add to the excitement, this was during the tail end of a traffic leaving a Michigan football game. I got on to the road leading to the turn without much traffic around me. Sweet. I was coming up to the turn and there was someone stopped, waiting to turn left onto the road I was on. He sees me. He's looking right at me. MotherF'r he's pulling out… I can't change lanes or I'll end up on the freeway. Can't have that, so I'm on the brakes hoping not to get run over from behind, waiting to see what he's going to do.

He stopped half way into my lane. I went around the front of him and made the turn. I may have referred to him in not so pleasant terms as I went by. He was backing up and rolling down his window as I went by. I didn't stop to talk, I was f'ing cold, angry, and just wanted to cross one more busy street (the exit side of the freeway jumble) until I was in my "safe" zone as it were.

In hindsight, I was already slowing down to make the turn, so it wasn't like I was going to run into him. I think what threw me was I had to brake harder and earlier than expected, and I was worried about getting hit from behind. Luckily no one was behind me but I doubt I'll be taking this bike out alone on "real" streets again any time soon.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Main Street Ann Arbor onto Huron River Drive?

Love the road, hate the turn.

Never been to that ton up show. Come to think of it, the few times I've been to their bike night, I've often left feeling I missed out on a nice ride...somewhere else.

Now Battle of the Brits in Milford, also this weekend, would be a totally different story.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Main Street Ann Arbor onto Huron River Drive?

Love the road, hate the turn.
That's the one.

You didn't miss much at the show. From what I hear they had about twice as many people/bikes last year. There were a couple cool bikes and I met up with some people I hadn't seen in a while, but it wasn't the highlight of my season. Or even my week as far as that goes!

I didn't make it to BOB. That would have been the one to go to, better weather and I'm guessing better bike for the most part... but I spent the day with wifey and the 'triever twins instead.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
May I ask what the value is of a Monza Jr these days? I got several of my bikes out this afternoon to give them some excercise. The Duc was very hard to start, but what a great sound when it did.

Cut to the chase, I may think about selling it as I am afraid I will get a heart attach kicking it. I was thinking $3,000???? All original, lots of patina. Engine completely gone thru 300 miles and 10 years ago.

That was a beautiful bike you had!

jack

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
May I ask what the value is of a Monza Jr these days? I got several of my bikes out this afternoon to give them some excercise. The Duc was very hard to start, but what a great sound when it did.

Cut to the chase, I may think about selling it as I am afraid I will get a heart attach kicking it. I was thinking $3,000???? All original, lots of patina. Engine completely gone thru 300 miles and 10 years ago.

That was a beautiful bike you had!

jack
I've heard that nice stock 160s are reaching over $3k these days. I haven't seen a stock one for sale in a while though.

FWIW mine starts first kick the vast majority of the time. After having sat for the winter the buyer asked if I'd start it. Didn't fire on the first kick but did on the second. I'm still running the stock ignition on mine (it's still mine until it's paid in full!) and they don't need the battery to start so I'm guessing your's could be improved with a little work.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts