Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has to be done to swap 74 CB 750 forks onto a 69 350? Good swap or is there something that works better for less money and effort? Also considered a cb360 fork swap? The goal is to end up with disk brakes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The best bet is to go with 450, 500 or 550 forks and front wheel/brake assy. The triple clamp dims are a lot closer to the original forks and they're easy to find. Also lighter although not by a lot. The 360 forks have a disk brake but its the smallest of the lot. The 750 disk is quite large and the whole assembly is fairly heavy. The 450/500/550 should bolt right on.

Mike O

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the 550 has 35mm tubes. so does the 750. either youll need to do some work to get the bearing setup right. search the archive, its been over a million times already. youll also have to move the steering stops if you run a 550 front end. not a big deal if you have a welder and grinder. most of us use the 550 front end i think. its also shorter than the 750. so it fits better. although the later 70s 750ss models had nice forks with longer sliders. which is what im running now. you can also easily convert any of the disk fronts to dual disks if you really want to be able to pull that stoppie or have it lock nicely in the rain.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i got 750 clamps with timkins and marzocchi fork legs and tubes.

i also had cmarsh do it for me.

i'm lazzzzzzzzzzy!

tex

"dude, my boots feel like they are filled with rain slushies!"

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a 1971 cb 400 front end to use. The bearings are not working though. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this? What bearings did you use to get it to work? The treads on the cb400 don't start as soon so I can't get the bearing retainer to tread on to the stem becasue not enough treads show.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i swapped my 350 stem for the 550 stem. walla....use 350 bearings. search the archive...its been covered a million times.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've swapped stems several times (when the bottom OD is the same), just grind off the weld on the bottom, press out the old stem, press in the new, run a weld around the bottom.

I've also cut stems in the middle, took out some, welded them back together. Believe it or not there is not a lot of stress on the middle of the stem. Most of the stress is at the ends of the stem where the bearings are located.
JohnnyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts