Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have decided that i want to turn my cl350 into a cafe racer!

I have been doing research and i can't seem to figure out what the best air filter system to use is. Are the chrome pod filters ok to use?

I know off the bat i am going to need to buy a new seat, change the filters, and put on the low handlebars! is there anything else i need to do that is a must?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! this is my first cafe project!

Here is the stock bike now!

·
Registered
965 Posts
OMG that bike is too clean to get bastardized by a noob bike builder. My advice is to keep that bike stock and ride it around while you "cafe" a different bike, CB350 or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
IMO, I would leave it alone dude. That’s a nice bike right there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess i pasted the link in wrong somehow so instead of clicking it, copy/paste the whole thing into the address bar!

Thanks for your quick advice!

P.S. I would like to think that it wouldn't be bastardized lol! i do love that bike and i would try my hardest to make a quality conversion! (for example spend a couple hundred and get the tank professionally painted)

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you start with a bike that is as clean and unmolested as the one that you posted a picture of, then yes it is bastardizing in my opinion.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with what these guys are saying, I would definitely think twice about doing a cafe job on a bike that clean and original. If you have your heart set on a cafe bike, sell that bike and use the cash to buy a beater bike you can build, maybe have enough cash left over to buy parts with.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Geez man, don't mess with that sucker. If you NEED a cafe racer, sell that to someone who will appreciate and buy a running but looks like crap 350. Give the extra money to tannermattic or whoever for body work.

But really, you should feel proud to ride that thing as is. In point of fact, clean stockers are (somewhat ironically) more rare and unique than most of the so-called "café" bikes these days. So, what's it gonna be: Blend into the woodwork, or ride something pretty cool?

If you cut that, it just might cut you back.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hey, it's your bike, do what you want with it. Turn it into a pile of parts if you want, but that is a pretty sweet bike as it is. Monetarily it is worth more as is than after you cafe it.

If you are near NY I will trade you even up a nice running cb350 that looks a little tatty. No one would bitch if you decided to modify it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JackC do you have any pictures of the cb? the only problem is, im like 800 miles away? How much is a fair price to offer someone down here in tennessee for a rough looking? cb350?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I can attest to Jacks bike being a strong runner I went to Jacks ride this summer and drove the wheels off the thing. Thanks again Jack! You have some of the best roads for riding I have seen out of Hawaii.
PS: I was running with all larger CC bikes some more modern.

I have gotten rough bikes, between $50 to $400 the upper scale was actually somewhat nice

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just put a seat and some bars on it. leave the rest alone. Just don't do anything that you can switch back in 10 mins time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well you sure have a clean ride and it looks almost mint. If it was me and I owned the bike I’d build her over to a Café Racer, but not chop any thing. I’d keep all parts to be able to convert back for resale. Keep the mods to bolt on only, but it’s your ride and you’re totally free to do as you wish. Why buy someone else’s problem when you already have a good bike to build from.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
ejohn,

You should be able to pick up a decent but tatty runner for under $700, and I see lots of them on CL for $500 or less. Of course I wouldn't sell mine for less than 1500 or so because I don't have to.

I haven't even ridden it since Nick was here. But he didn't push it back, so it must still run......

Depending on what state you live in, a bike with no papers can be no big deal, or the kiss of death. Know which before you buy a beater.

Jack

1 - 20 of 44 Posts