Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ejohnston

i don't understand you forum fanatics jargons
I gots no time or attention span for a dude who thinks of a motorcycle as a fashion accessory.

if you cant appreciate why your clean original 1970's paint cl is awesome and you think that crappy bike you picked out must be the bees knees just cuz it looks cool, then why should we care what you think?

I mean honestly, why should we help you over the thousands who come here with the exact same intro post? what makes you so special? just cuz you think a certain bike looks cool? I guess my point is: maybe if you give us a real introduction, be honest about your skills and experience (which we already know s next to nil), and really show us something beyond the generic newbie post you may be surprised. but until then - yeah this thread has teh AIDS.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
well just based on the into its clear that you know nothing about "cafe" bikes or this forum. Thats OK i guess because everyone has to start some place but really why not do ANY research your self about this site....search here and you should find a MILLION ass hole newbie threads that all read the same as yours. If you are looking for imput again search....some race these things....
But I assume its just a look thing for you. in that case google "do the ton" they have a happy forum that will be filled with super nice people that will vailidated all of your shitty mods that you have in your head.

mostly this is based on your "low bar" comment.

Since its also safe for me to assume that you arent that handy with a wrench or understand how carbs work im going to tell you something....

That bike will never be better then it is right now. you are only going to fuck it up doing your "build" its not really the end of the world... not like its a rare K0....

Maybe we can just start again....
Why not give a proper into
-skill level as a rider and a mechanic
-do you have tools?
-what do you think your budget is?
-goals for the bike?
-what a cafe is to you...this should be about a 1000 words. im ok with some pictures and a write up as to why you like these bikes and such. not looking for a history leson but something more personal

This will help us to either help you to see the light or just dissmiss you as a hipster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:Originally posted by ejohnston

i don't understand you forum fanatics jargons
I gots no time or attention span for a dude who thinks of a motorcycle as a fashion accessory.

if you cant appreciate why your clean original 1970's paint cl is awesome and you think that crappy bike you picked out must be the bees knees just cuz it looks cool, then why should we care what you think?

I mean honestly, why should we help you over the thousands who come here with the exact same intro post? what makes you so special? just cuz you think a certain bike looks cool? I guess my point is: maybe if you give us a real introduction, be honest about your skills and experience (which we already know s next to nil), and really show us something beyond the generic newbie post you may be surprised. but until then - yeah this thread has teh AIDS.
excuse me mr Geeto67 i wasn't aware your life is soooooo buuuuusy! obviously you had enough time to write that paragraph of complaints! lets be honest this is a forum! im not writing or breaking any code on a brain surgeon protocol. And i never said you should help me over the thousands! if you have time and/or interest, help them, if not, don't! I guess i was wrong thinking a forum could be used as a place to brainstorm! And as far as im concerned it is not Troll or TEH aids to have a hobby that i don't know to much about while i am in dental school! (im sure dental school is just as busy, if not busier than what you have going on!) and maybe that bike doesn't look good to you! but thank god for "own opinions" notice i said "I" fell in love! so if a bike looks better to me in my opinion! i don't think it is "Troll" for me to want to change it to the way "I" like it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In dental school we are training to be professionals! what if i scoffed and told them to f off, every time someone asked me a dumb question about my area of knowledge! i thought (you guys being professionals) i could ask a question that may sound dumb to you!

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
what question did you ask again?

and wouldnt you be pissed if the answer you gave wasnt good enough for the guy asking it?

You got a bike
you got a pic
you have the internet
order the parts from the pic and call it a racer
done

really you just arent getting it here....

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Dental school eh? Didn't get good enough grades in organic chem to get on the med school path?

Imagine in your first day of dental school you introduced yourself not by who you are, but by telling everyone your goal for going to dental school was to be one of those people in the mall who whitens teeth. Think about how open and receptive they would be to you. Same thing here.

Just cause a forum exists doesn't mean it exists solely to cater to you. If you bothered to look around you would see your type of introduction is exactly the kind that draws abuse from this crowd. If you read further you would have seen that if you introduce yourself, let is know who we are dealing with, limitations, etc.... We are actually helpful. Be we are not here to help every trend jumping Johnny dickrider build shitty bikes that getthemselves hurt while cutting up nice original machines at the same time. You talk about "professionalism" then act like one and not just like the 1000s of other douchebags who want the flavor of the moment.

Two more quick points:

1) you don't have a hobby, you have an interest. You haven't graduated to hobby yet.

2) function over form is the law of the land. You don't know enough yet but that douchey little 350 you "fell in love" with is a pile of shit, you just don't know what shit smells like yet. Hipsters and fashionistias build bikes by how they look and " fall in love with design", the rest of us have a good laugh at your expense and continue doing what we do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
well now it sounds like were running in circles! i know i have the picture, internet, and bike! but my original question was the best chrome filter pod(if they work at all)! i like that look (my opinion) but i dont want to sacrifice to much reliability or "downgrade" performance for looks!

but point taken!

two things i learned: 1) forum junkies need a salt brick for there high horses! and 2) learn by trial and error when it comes to motorcycles because asking a question a newbie doesn't understand(by the way i did search for a topic on cl350 pod air filters, with no return) has TEH AIDS!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't search for "cl350 pod filters" just search "pod filters". They do pretty much the same thing to every bike. If you really are interested helping your bike perform better (which I'd say about 99.99% of the people on here want) then stay away from them. Start messing with the way air flows through your motor and you invite a host of other things you will have to do to get it running right again. Buy a book about it, there's tons of them on how a motor works, you can never change one thing and one thing only. And judging from your posts you don't have any idea what your getting into. And just 'cause you can work on a car (if you think you can) doesn't mean shit. I've rebuilt many flathead V8's, fab'ed 4 link suspensions for drag cars with 50 year old frames, etc..., but was like a drunk penguin when I broke apart my twin to upgrade/rebuild. But I've learned (from the likes of those on here that you say need a salt brick), and it takes time. Point is, is you want stock performance, leave it stock. If you want better performance, do your homework. You're in school so it shouldn't be a stretch.

And goolge "internet troll" before using it in a sentence.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Pod filters don't work. If you typed "pod filters" into google you would get tens or thousands of hits about newbies asking about them and then learning that a) you probably don't have the skill to retune to carbs, b) you lose hp on a stock engine in most cases, c) they are generally dispised by people who know about motorcycles, d) don't keep rain water out, and e) the emgo ones are the worst and a clear indicator you have no business working on a motorcycle if you have them on your bike. All this from google.

You want a place to start, start by riding the bike. Does everything work? If not fix it. Then do a full service and tuneup on it per the manual, including carb sync and valve adjustment. Buy all tools you need to do this. After the bike is well sorted and you want to modify - start with the brakes and suspension, then wheels and tires. Think of the bike as a series of systems because one affects the rest. The bars, seat and foot controls are all one system and should be changed as a set. Get it?

As you go you will find that things that work will look better than if you just planned you bike for how cool it looks.

This isn't a cheap hobby, and being a student you are better off keeping the bike a runner for as long as possible. Quality paint and upolstry costs money that you may not have, so rather than make the bike look better make it work better. Trust me you will enjoy it more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^ well said, theyre shit. shit in moist/rain....fk up your jetting so need to rejet to suit which can be impossible cos of all the turbulance they invite into your ventri. they do look good though on the naked racer, bout it.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
On pod filters, they are cheap, easy to mount and work slightly better than stretching a nylon stocking over the mouth of your carbs. What don't they do: they don't sit inside an air box which is important for 2 reasons. The air box reduces induction noise (the sound that sucks) Secondly the air box provides a large 'still' air volume for the carbs to breath from (which according to engine design practice yields a proven performance advantages)

So if you ruffled feathers with your question and wonder why, it's because we look at your bike and think 'wow look how nice and stock original that thing is' We all spotted the stock vacuum carbs on your existing bike and the 'race' carbs on your inspiration bike, but you noticed the 'shit nothing else will fit so I guess I'll just mount some cheap pods on this thing' air filters.

If you came in here and said: I want to get rid of those lousy CV carbs but I think the only filters I can fit are pods, you would have stimulated a far more interesting and productive conversation.

My recommended start point on this build ...your right footpeg sucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting thread.... I just picked up my first pair of old Honda bikes. One's a (mostly)complete CL350 but the guy had installed pods on it and threw away the boxes...he said it ran fine for awhile but now he's having a power issue and decided to get rid of it. I'll add a stock air box to my list of parts I need.... thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting thread.... I just picked up my first pair of old Honda bikes. One's a (mostly)complete CL350 but the guy had installed pods on it and threw away the boxes...he said it ran fine for awhile but now he's having a power issue and decided to get rid of it. I'll add a stock air box to my list of parts I need.... thanks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The "Pods are shit" dogma may be correct most of the time, especially for noobs. It may also be correct most of the time for ordinary street (not track) riding. It is almost certainly correct for those who don't have the patience and skill for tuning.

But let's not accept it as gospel for all circumstances. Here's something I wrote awhile back on this forum:

Do we really know how pods affect performance? Many of you say pods worsen performance, but how do you know? I'm not trying to be an ass (I don't even need to try to do that, it just happens). I'm just curious about how the consensus developed.

If you tried pods on your bike and decided they suck, that's cool. But how did you determine that the performance was actually worsened?

When I tune a bike at home, the only thing I can tell for sure are real obvious problems: howitzer-style backfiring, great yawning flat spots during accelleration, or an entire cylinder that has gone catatonic. I used to kid myself that I could detect small improvements in horsepower, but I was just a callow youth at the time. Now that I'm older, I give my butt-dyno a lot less credibility.

What would convince me that you pod-haters are right? Horsepower curves and torque curves. Real dyno tests. I would need to see dyno tests with lots of different jetting and exhaust combos, with and without pods, on lots of different bikes. Otherwise, how do you know pods can't be made to work well with some smart tuning? Unless you're Erv Kanemoto, your seat-of-the-pants opinion could be, ahem, a little off.

I understand when you say airbox volume and venturi shape are important. So I can see why some of you say a stock airbox is best. But let's not apply one rule in every instance, as if it were the Sum Total Of All Possible Knowledge. There are too many variables here for this to be that simple. I would bet money that a stock airbox is often the best choice. But I would also bet money that some bikes, when tuned for top performance by someone who knows what they are doing, work better with pods.
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15076&SearchTerms=pods

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The "Pods are shit" dogma may be correct most of the time, especially for noobs. It may also be correct most of the time for ordinary street (not track) riding. It is almost certainly correct for those who don't have the patience and skill for tuning.

But let's not accept it as gospel for all circumstances. Here's something I wrote awhile back on this forum:

Do we really know how pods affect performance? Many of you say pods worsen performance, but how do you know? I'm not trying to be an ass (I don't even need to try to do that, it just happens). I'm just curious about how the consensus developed.

If you tried pods on your bike and decided they suck, that's cool. But how did you determine that the performance was actually worsened?

When I tune a bike at home, the only thing I can tell for sure are real obvious problems: howitzer-style backfiring, great yawning flat spots during accelleration, or an entire cylinder that has gone catatonic. I used to kid myself that I could detect small improvements in horsepower, but I was just a callow youth at the time. Now that I'm older, I give my butt-dyno a lot less credibility.

What would convince me that you pod-haters are right? Horsepower curves and torque curves. Real dyno tests. I would need to see dyno tests with lots of different jetting and exhaust combos, with and without pods, on lots of different bikes. Otherwise, how do you know pods can't be made to work well with some smart tuning? Unless you're Erv Kanemoto, your seat-of-the-pants opinion could be, ahem, a little off.

I understand when you say airbox volume and venturi shape are important. So I can see why some of you say a stock airbox is best. But let's not apply one rule in every instance, as if it were the Sum Total Of All Possible Knowledge. There are too many variables here for this to be that simple. I would bet money that a stock airbox is often the best choice. But I would also bet money that some bikes, when tuned for top performance by someone who knows what they are doing, work better with pods.
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15076&SearchTerms=pods

·
Registered
454 Posts
Steve, that's one of the best posts I've read regarding pods, or really any sort of modifications. Like you said, the only way to determine how much or little a set of pods would do for performance is to dyno test the HP (at crank and at rear wheel) with the stock airbox, then do the exact same test with the pods. It's like trying to debug an electrical problem - you do it one step at a time otherwise you don't know what worked or what made the problem worse.

Here's what I aimed for with my project:

I'm guessing the pods help, but without knowing the baseline I don't have a solid answer. I wonder if the owner knows. It's a little too late for me to find out if the pods work better than the stock airbox (mainly because I sold those parts) but my friendly tuner seems to think so. He also thinks a different set of pods would work better. He works on bikes for a living so I have to defer to his opinion.

One thing I know for certain is that my long-gone 240z responded differently with timing and fuel mix combinations. I could gain more top-end HP but at the cost of low-end acceleration. I ended up going back to the stock setup because that worked best for around-town driving. I think the same would apply to motorcycles because you have to decide what your priorities are.

My bike will need some sorting out with the pods and a 2-1 header. Will it be better than Honda designed? I'll probably never know. It looks pretty cool, but so does Pamela Anderson. I think the pods will be far less of a pain in the ass than her.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is an awesome bike that you posted above... I was wondering has anyone had any experience with putting uni-filters on instead of pods or the stock filters?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Uni brand foam filters are excellent and I see many of them in the race paddock. They would be perfect on the street as well.

You get what you pay for!

Tex

21 - 40 of 44 Posts