Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to look at a 1971 BSA 250 later today and I was wondering what I should look out for. The guy says its all there and may need motor work (not running). It is a project. I would be grateful for any useful input. He is asking $650.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
title?

1971 it should be a b25 starfire. How big are you? cuz those mills are weight sensitive as I have found out.

assume it needs everything inside the engine - not the most robust thing on the planet.

also fiberglass tank so if you run e10 fuels in Canada it will need look and look for signs of de-lamination.

$650 seems high for me. You can usually find a running one for $1000-$1200.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
title?

1971 it should be a b25 starfire. How big are you? cuz those mills are weight sensitive as I have found out.

assume it needs everything inside the engine - not the most robust thing on the planet.

also fiberglass tank so if you run e10 fuels in Canada it will need look and look for signs of de-lamination.

$650 seems high for me. You can usually find a running one for $1000-$1200.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have a title. I am pushing 200 lb but I was thinking resale when its done. The 250 is kind of small for me to enjoy. You think parts are gonna be a huge hassle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a title. I am pushing 200 lb but I was thinking resale when its done. The 250 is kind of small for me to enjoy. You think parts are gonna be a huge hassle?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeh, BSA parts are bigger than a big hassle! some will say nah but from experience to do anything right when rebuilding a BSA is nearly impossible.
I would run or part it out, you will end up spending a whole hell of allot more money, x 3 or 4 of what your paying for it.

I love BSA's but over the years I have learned I want absolutely nothing to do with them. Plus that 250 motor was and is a piece of crap, they are small, not in CC's but they are just small, Ive had 100cc motors rule those 250's, I think they made them to pull 50# people.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeh, BSA parts are bigger than a big hassle! some will say nah but from experience to do anything right when rebuilding a BSA is nearly impossible.
I would run or part it out, you will end up spending a whole hell of allot more money, x 3 or 4 of what your paying for it.

I love BSA's but over the years I have learned I want absolutely nothing to do with them. Plus that 250 motor was and is a piece of crap, they are small, not in CC's but they are just small, Ive had 100cc motors rule those 250's, I think they made them to pull 50# people.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
B/C25 is OK as long as you don't go nuts with high compression piston and high rpm.
Con rods are known to split
The ATD will vibrate apart where it's riveted/swaged
C15 was more reliable with roller big end as long as rpm wasn't too high and you kept oil ways clear

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
B/C25 is OK as long as you don't go nuts with high compression piston and high rpm.
Con rods are known to split
The ATD will vibrate apart where it's riveted/swaged
C15 was more reliable with roller big end as long as rpm wasn't too high and you kept oil ways clear

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah dude - you would need to get that bike next to free and do a 100 point resto to get anywhere close to a profit. now....one thing I have heard but never confirmed is bsa 441 victor engines will bolt into the frame. If you wanted a nice smallish special for yourself then buy it and go find a 441 mill to put in it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah dude - you would need to get that bike next to free and do a 100 point resto to get anywhere close to a profit. now....one thing I have heard but never confirmed is bsa 441 victor engines will bolt into the frame. If you wanted a nice smallish special for yourself then buy it and go find a 441 mill to put in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I nevefr had too much trouble finding parts, only paying for them. They can be on the pricy side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I nevefr had too much trouble finding parts, only paying for them. They can be on the pricy side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts