Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to honda bikes. Got this 71 honda 750 four. Been sitting a long time. Not sure what cafe kit is on this bike? I'm missing the headlight trim also. Any ideas. It has a fiberglass gas tank. Couple broken spots in the fairings. But easy fix. Bike sold new in Massachusetts by the sticker on the rear fender.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Put up a couple more photos showing the rest of the body kit, someone will likely be able to give you it's background.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I need a windshield and a headlight trim ring. And possibly the name of the cafe kit. Nothing is cutoff the bike. This kit all bolts on. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I think it's a straight fiberglass tank. Still has old gas in it. There's a sticker on one fairing that says R C engineering gardena Calif. Possibly one of there kits? Everything bolts on without cutting tabs. It's kinda a cool find. Motor is stuck. Not sure how bad yet. Honda is a new one for me. I'm an old harley guy. Lol any info on this would help thanks

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
also, gustaffson glass makes the nose cone for the fairing... though a lot of times they were run without.

I'm extremely interested in seeing this bike get brought back to it's former glory. Whoever had it last seemed to know what they were doing.
RC Engineering was a really big performance company back in the day.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Looks like a Dunstall front fender,
and I think you are missing a headlight bubble that looks roughly like this:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
That is not a "kit", someone assembled that bike out of individual pieces.

Here is what is stock based on what I can see:
  • Gauges (and top clamp)
  • forks (including top clamp)
  • brakes
  • wheels
  • Sidecovers
  • signals (although mounts moved)
  • rear fender
  • rear light
  • Carbs
  • airbox
Here is what is modified:
  • Fairing is a Rickman/Avon style but one of the much later ones due to the angular panel on the left side.
  • Rearsets: Look to be either John Tickle or Dunstall (likely dunstall)
  • front fender is a tracy fiberglass unit.Could be a dunstall or some other maker, but the design was originally tracy fiberglass works.
  • I've seen that tank and seat combination before but I can't for the life of me remember where or who made it. Could be Fibercraft or Fibermold. If you look there should be a makers tag somewhere in the glass, usually in the filler hole or under the tank.
  • shocks are unknown but they could be stock with the shrouds removed, or progressive or mullholands.Either way they aren't stock but they aren't super high end either.
Notes:
  • Engine is unknown. RC sticker could denote some trick engine parts or coud just be a sticker. Won't know unless you get inside the engine (which I don't recommend).
  • No exhaust, could have had a nice system or stock pipes.
  • Based on the stock carbs and airbox I'm guessing if it has engine work it's pretty mild. 71 was the last year of the "Fast" cb750s before emissions detuned them until 1977.
  • Check to see if it has an electronic ignition like a dyna, martek 440, or some other cool vintage piece.
  • If you are going to use that thank, it's going to need a caswell liner in it - modern E10 gas eats old fiberglass because of the polyester resin.
  • If the engine turns over and is not locked up, there is an 85% chance it will run fine. CB750's made oil pressure like a car (40-60 psi) so as long as rust didn't get inside or the engine wasn't blown up before being put away, the engine should be fine. I've made cb750s that sat without exhaust run again after 20+ years of sitting - so it's possible.
  • Guftasson (sp?) should be able to hook you up with the screen and the clear headlight cover for the fairing.
  • everythng else on that bike that is shot is easy to source and relativley cheap. I wouldn't even bother with the wheels that are on it, you can usually find aluminum rims off a 1976 cb750A for like $100 a piece ready to use.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thats a pretty reasonable price.

I'm suprised it didn't sell. does it have paperwork?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nh doesn't require titles over 15 yrs old. But I can register it here and give the reg with it. Mass is the only ---hole state about registering without title. Most states are fine as long as it's registered to apply for title.i can register it without any problem and sign bill of sale with old reg. It is fair price. Like I said I will keep it if I don't get my money out of it. I like it anyways. And has to be picked up local. I'm not interested in shipping it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts