Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got any quick tricks to getting the flywheel out of one of these...i would rather not pull the whole rear end off....cheers

Ride Fast and Take Chances

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Chikor
The transmission has to come out and the easiest way is to pull the swingarm bolts so you can pull the whole assembly back. Not a idea to read up on it in the Clymer manual. You don't want to drop the shim off the back of the crank or it'll be a lot more time in disassembly.
bfd

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was wondering if there was a way to avoid taking out the swingarm....oh well anyone got a thin walled 27mm socket? cheers

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You CAN pull the tranny out without removing the swingarm, but it is a little tight. You'll need to take the clutch actuator out to do so though.
Heed BFD's advice and block the crank before removing the flywheel. Just fabricate a simple retainer to apply pressure to the fwd end of the crank when you bolt on the front cover.
Also, you'll need a piece of flat bar to make a flywheel removal tool that you can use if you don't already have one.
Thin walled 27mm socket, just sacrifice one on a bench grinder. You don't need to remove much material as I recall.

Lightening the flywheel by chance? You will need to check end play if you are swapping to another lighter flywheel.

Jeff

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:

Lightening the flywheel by chance? You will need to check end play if you are swapping to another lighter flywheel.

Jeff
why yes lightening and balancing...for a customer who is taking it up to the track on the 5th of august....there is so much more i would do if i were going to race an old touring bike...but i'm not...just waiting for fall to start on my brit projects.....

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well...i'm going to remove the swingarm because it just won't budge....damn it, why do we germans make things so tight?

·
Registered
453 Posts
this thread brings me back to when i worked for canton cycles in connecticut. i had to replace a throttle body on a beemer r1200c, their cruiser. to remove the throttle body, the swingarm, trans, and rear frame section ALL have to be either removed or moved out of the way. it's not often i can say bmw and poor engineering in the same sentence but thats one of em. sorry for the thread hijack.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hijack away...the flywheel is on it's way back from the machine shop as i type....cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts