Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the bike Monday, it didn't run awesomely but it ran.

I put 5 miles on it to make sure that it went well enough, then last night I tried to capture some video of the tach bouncing and the bike didn't run so well for about a minute and now she's rather dead.

One other problem is that the high beams work, but not the low beams. I know that the switch is working though because the lights on the gauges turn on, just not the low-beam headlamp. Fuse or bulb, do you think?

Also, on the problem with the bike not running, I'm guessing the carbs, but wanted the opinion of people smarter than I am. Thank you.

Okay....

Well, it ran well yesterday, but I went out to shoot videos to show you guys, and it ran for a minute rather roughly and then died. It won't start anymore.

It turns over, I get a spark, but the plug that I pulled is rather black, the exhaust smells like gas. It sounds like it wants to fire up but won't. Adjusting the air screw didn't seem to make any difference.

Some pictures of the engine, bike in general and some videos when it ran.

I get the feeling that the jets are clogged, and maybe the petcock too. There is a bit of rust in the tank, think it might have gotten into the fuel system.

I think the pipes are aftermarket, they don't look like the stock pipes.

Videos

http://media.putfile.com/CB350-Revving-Rough

http://media.putfile.com/CB350-Running-Rough

http://media.putfile.com/CB350-Gauges-Bouncing

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The low beam in the headlight is gone - replace the headlight, sounds like clogged carbs and mis-adjusted or poorly jetted. Remove, clean and check the manual for jet sizes. Your gas tank may need cleaning - drain and check for rust and dirt. If the tank needs to be coated for god sakes don't use creamer, use Por-15 instead. Any radiator shop will have this stuff.

While your tearing into this beast - you may want to check and re-set the engine and valve timing.

After looking at the video's - your carbs need to be re-sync - that would be after they have been cleaned.

have fun...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You also need to set a baseline, before you start just tearing stuff apart. Check your points, clean and gap and time them. Check your valve clearance, set it if unsure.R Replace your plugs. Charge your battery, even if you think it is fully charged. Drain your carbs and check the little filter on the petcock. Clean the petcock bowl.
Check your air filters. If they are oily and dirty it doesn't help.

Your low beam filament is probably burned out, but you can check for sure by switching the blue and white wires in the headlight shell and see if the lowbeam now works and the high beam is out. If that is the case then start chasing back the lowbeam wire. My bet is the bulb is bad.

The tach could have a bad cable that is broken or frayed. Pull the cable off and just pull the inner out. It comes out from the engine end. If either the slotted end or the square end is broken, friction will still turn the tach some.

Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

You also need to set a baseline, before you start just tearing stuff apart. Check your points, clean and gap and time them. Check your valve clearance, set it if unsure.R Replace your plugs. Charge your battery, even if you think it is fully charged. Drain your carbs and check the little filter on the petcock. Clean the petcock bowl.
Check your air filters. If they are oily and dirty it doesn't help.

Your low beam filament is probably burned out, but you can check for sure by switching the blue and white wires in the headlight shell and see if the lowbeam now works and the high beam is out. If that is the case then start chasing back the lowbeam wire. My bet is the bulb is bad.

The tach could have a bad cable that is broken or frayed. Pull the cable off and just pull the inner out. It comes out from the engine end. If either the slotted end or the square end is broken, friction will still turn the tach some.

Ken

The tach worked when I was riding it.

Okay, for your first paragraph of suggestions, I am guessing that I'mma need a good manual. Any specialty tools needed for that general baseline maintanance?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
get a factory manual.

clymers stink!

no factory tools for what you are doing.

just basic wrenches and sockets.

if you are going to remove the side cases or split the engine, get an impact driver.

and yes...those pipes (mufflers) are aftermarket.

tex

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
its impossible to overstate how SHITTY clymer manuals are! i don't know enough about chilton to say the same with great confidence, but i wouldn't expect too much better from them either. do yourself a favor and get the factory manual. you'll find them onliine for free.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
All good advice listed above - More on your tach, from the video, the tach swing is more than likely caused by your bike being in a poor state of tune. After you get everything working the way it should, you will need to sync your carbs. To do this, you will need sync gages - if you don't have a set, that might be something you have a repair shop handle for you. I bet with a little bit of sweat and cleaning, you'll be able to get this bike to purr like a kitten.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, someone on ADVRider sent me a FACTORY REPAIR MANUAL, that has a "Preventative Maintanance" section that I am going to follow to a T once I get the tank, petcock and carbs cleaned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a manometer?

Also, updates.

Turned it on after adjusting the idle and air screws just to see what it would do, and it ran... but only on one cylinder, I know because the right pipe was dead cold.

The air boxes were dirtier than hell. One reason I am sure. I haven't ripped into the petcock or carbs yet but they seem rather clean actually. I wonder if the guy I bought it from did those when he repainted the bike.

Also, important question, when it was running earlier, I gave it some gas and saw some blackish/gray smoke puff out of the front somewhere.... exhaust leak or something else?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Woops - your right - CV carbs don't need syncing, they pull from engine vacuum.. If that's the case I'd check for a vacuum leak on the carbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay.

Two Important things that I need solved.

#1. The puff of black smoke from the front of the engine when revved. Seemed to come from the front of the motor, blowing towards the front tire, only when revved and the bike seemed to bog a little.

#2. See attached picture. Last night when we were taking stuff off, we removed the fender and disconnected the taillight from its plugs. Well about a minute after this picture was taken, smoke puffed out heavily for about a second from the little connector where the red circle is. Basically, I forgot to remove the battery. Besides feeling massively stupid, did I ruin anything?

Link to picture.
http://www.putfile.com/pic/8450874

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
you need solved? or do you mean, help solving? kenessex helps those who help themselves. except for tex. he hates him.

personally, i would want to do a little more looking into exactly where this "puff of smoke" is coming from!

one thing at a time; sort out your engine first before dickin' around with taking shit off. i don't know enough about electrical systems to comment on whether or not you other "puff of smoke" fried some shit, but i do know it's never a good thing when dealing with current. you might very well have just made one more thing to keep your bike down. plug that shit back in and see if it still works, that is, if it even did before the fireworks. slow and methodical.

good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by catboy

you need solved? or do you mean, help solving? kenessex helps those who help themselves. except for tex. he hates him.

personally, i would want to do a little more looking into exactly where this "puff of smoke" is coming from!

one thing at a time; sort out your engine first before dickin' around with taking shit off. i don't know enough about electrical systems to comment on whether or not you other "puff of smoke" fried some shit, but i do know it's never a good thing when dealing with current. you might very well have just made one more thing to keep your bike down. plug that shit back in and see if it still works, that is, if it even did before the fireworks. slow and methodical.

good luck.
Well, it does need to be solved, but I meant help solving.

I took off the air filters, carbs, and tank so I could clean them that way I knew any problems I had after that point was no caused by those three items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts